Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Jeep, a 2 door Wrangler. I will be pulling it behind my motorhome occasionally. I have seen tow bars that cost from $200.00 and up (way up). What is the differences in the baseplates and the different tow bars?
Any suggestions?

thanks, Leo

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Welcome Leo. We've towed a Jeep of one sort or another over 100K over the years. If you will be traveling and hitching and unhitching often, I recommend you get an adjustable arm tow bar. They are more expensive than a fixed arm bar arrangement, but the advantage is ease of connecting. If you travel very often, I can just about guarantee you will pass up unhitching to go on a narrow road not suitable for your RV, or avoid some attraction because it's just a PIA. If you are by yourself, a fixed arm tow bar can be frustratingly difficult to get aligned on the ball. Additionally, having a tow bar that stows on the motor home just makes things easier in my opinion.

A popular choice is the NSA ReadyBrake with ReadyStop. This tow bar incorporates a surge type supplemental brake system for your towed vehicle as well as a break-away system. It uses brute force to activate the towed vehicles brakes. Other supplemental brake systems may use vacuum pumps to energize the power brakes on the towed vehicle for more efficient braking. I have the later type design on my JK, but I wanted energized brakes and you may not care.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts