Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 JKU with the alpine premium speakers package and the Radio 430 Nav. I'm looking to swap to something with apple car play and I've found a couple threads on here but I'm struggling to find somewhere where I can see exactly what is needed to swap out my system / what would be needed in the replacement. Does anyone have any pointers of where to start looking for some more help? I've checked out crutchfield and it seems like a good starting place but I don't have a whole lot of experience yet with all of this and I don't want to order a system and find out I'm missing things or I ordered things I don't need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
what exactly are you wanting to do? are there any features you want to retain from your Jeep (USB, Sat Nav, ect), are you wanting an all in one style solution, or are you just looking to upgrade the HU?

as for upgrading things I would suggest looking at an Android HU as it would pretty much do anything you may want it to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what exactly are you wanting to do? are there any features you want to retain from your Jeep (USB, Sat Nav, ect), are you wanting an all in one style solution, or are you just looking to upgrade the HU?

as for upgrading things I would suggest looking at an Android HU as it would pretty much do anything you may want it to.
I’m looking to get something with Apple CarPlay for my iPhone, since I really hate how uconnect works with the iPhone and the the built in GPS, I like the hands free option for phone calls and the built in USB in the center console. I’d also like to get a backup camera at some point, although I’m not sure how well they work with manual cars?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I really like my Pioneer 2300NEX. Pair that with a Maestro adapter and you should be all set. You can get the HU off of eBay refurbished for around $230. It doesn't have a disc drive so there are really no moving parts except for the buttons if you have any reservations about refurbs.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I have a 2018 JKU with the alpine premium speakers package and the Radio 430 Nav. I'm looking to swap to something with apple car play and I've found a couple threads on here but I'm struggling to find somewhere where I can see exactly what is needed to swap out my system / what would be needed in the replacement. Does anyone have any pointers of where to start looking for some more help? I've checked out crutchfield and it seems like a good starting place but I don't have a whole lot of experience yet with all of this and I don't want to order a system and find out I'm missing things or I ordered things I don't need.

If you have the alpine premium system and wish to continue using it without issue then you will need a head unit which is compatible with the Maestro RR can bus adapter. It's about the only can bus adapter which 100% works with the alpine system and your steering wheel buttons.

For a list of compatible head units:
https://maestro.idatalink.com/compatible-radios/

As for carplay, any of the higher end Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine units do carplay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If you have the alpine premium system and wish to continue using it without issue then you will need a head unit which is compatible with the Maestro RR can bus adapter. It's about the only can bus adapter which 100% works with the alpine system and your steering wheel buttons.

For a list of compatible head units:
https://maestro.idatalink.com/compatible-radios/

As for carplay, any of the higher end Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine units do carplay.
Awesome, thanks for the tips! This helps a lot!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Go to Crutchfield and enter your vehicle and audio system information. It will tell you exactly what you need. I have a Kenwood DDX head unit that has Car Play and Android Auto, together with the Maestro unit. I'm not sure if uConnect should have been retained, but I don't especially care since the head unit has its own bluetooth system and running the new microphone was a cakewalk. I have it mounted to my CB radio, which is itself mounted above the rearview mirror.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts