Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 1998 Wrangler with the 2.5l. I have stock Grizzly wheels and 31x10.50 tires. They rub a little bit on the frame when I make a sharp turn. I was wondering, if I got a new set of wheels with different backspacing would that cure the rubbing issue? If so, what backspacing would I need?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also my Jeep is white so I'm thinking of black wheels....Opinions?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I would go with a 15x8 rim with 3.75 back spacing. This will also allow you to run a 12.50 wide tire down the road if you want.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go with a 15x8 rim with 3.75 back spacing. This will also allow you to run a 12.50 wide tire down the road if you want.
Ok awesome. With 3.75 back spacing the tire will be stuck out farther. Correct?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Ok so I have a 1998 Wrangler with the 2.5l. I have stock Grizzly wheels and 31x10.50 tires. They rub a little bit on the frame when I make a sharp turn.
It takes two five cent washers and ten minutes to fix that. Go to Jeep Steer Stop Adjustment

Wheel backspacing is the distance between the rear-most edge of the wheel and the wheel's mounting surface. The yellow tape measure in the below photo is measuring how much backspacing the wheel has. The more backspacing a wheel has, the further into the wheel well the wheel is positioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It takes two five cent washers and ten minutes to fix that. Go to Jeep Steer Stop Adjustment

Wheel backspacing is the distance between the rear-most edge of the wheel and the wheel's mounting surface. The yellow tape measure in the below photo is measuring how much backspacing the wheel has. The more backspacing a wheel has, the further into the wheel well the wheel is positioned.
Thanks!! I'll do that soon (and probably still get new wheels:punk:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You won't need those washers with new aftermarket wheels. :)
Yea but that'll let me wait till summer at least to keep the salt off of them for one winter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im thinking of these wheels. 15x8 with 3.5 back spacing....what do ya think

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Your wheels will stick out unnecessarily far with only 3.5" of BS. The minimum I'd run is 3.75" with 4" being even better.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Im thinking of these wheels. 15x8 with 3.5 back spacing....what do ya think

I have them with 33 12.50 15 DuraTracs Rating C and they fit OK. I wish they were 3.75 or 4.0 BS instead of 3.5 BS, but they are fine !! Pricing on this wheel has been substantially lowered since Ion came out with new designs..........tough to beat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So, is the above photo "Ion Alloy 174 Black Beadlock Wheel (15x8"/5x114.3mm)" is that you have? Is that the correct size for a TJ (5 x 4.5") I find them on Amazon for only $110 and that includes shipping. I see it is only a 3.5" backspacing - but a 1" spacer would resolve that.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I see it is only a 3.5" backspacing - but a 1" spacer would resolve that.
Adding a 1" spacer would give that wheel with 3.5" of backspacing the equivilent of 2.5" of backspacing. A spacer positions the wheel further out of the wheel well, not further in. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Your wheels will stick out unnecessarily far with only 3.5" of BS. The minimum I'd run is 3.75" with 4" being even better.
Would 4 inch back spacing be enough to not rub. Because I would rather them not stick out as much as possible if that makes sense.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Would 4 inch back spacing be enough to not rub. Because I would rather them not stick out as much as possible if that makes sense.
4" of backspacing would be fine, anything between that and 5" would work fine for your 31x10.50 tires.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
B.B. said:
I have them with 33 12.50 15 DuraTracs Rating C and they fit OK. I wish they were 3.75 or 4.0 BS instead of 3.5 BS, but they are fine !! Pricing on this wheel has been substantially lowered since Ion came out with new designs..........tough to beat.
Nice jeep man. Those wheels look really good. I might just pull the trigger. They're only like 89.99 a piece from quadratec.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
4" of backspacing would be fine, anything between that and 5" would work fine for your 31x10.50 tires.
Thanks. You've been a great help. I'll look around and see what I can find and update you guys.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
helmsy,
you can get free shipping by going to google and type in "174-5865B quadtratec", then click on the "shopping" option, then click the link that pops up and you will see free shipping when you add it to your cart......

1 - 20 of 46 Posts