Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Smittybilt X2O Comp winch for Christmas. It's completely wired and mounted, but I'm wondering if I need an inline fuse. I cant find any info on if it has a built in fuse or if wiring it without would be fine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The short answer is no. But there is a recent discussion in the JK tech forum with varying opinions on the subject. You might find it interesting. Search for "wire gauge for winch"

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, just read through it. I like the idea of the blue sea systems M series switch. I think I'll just go that route.

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Been running winches for well over 20 years, never had anything but a warn and never had any issue. BUT and that said I inspect my winch wires or a regular basis, keep them shiny clean and attach direct to the battery. I use marine batteries so I have 4 posts to work with but always put my winch on the 2 main posts.

And I try to do as little underwater winching as I can...but Warn can do it if you NEED to...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Been running winches for well over 20 years, never had anything but a warn and never had any issue. BUT and that said I inspect my winch wires or a regular basis, keep them shiny clean and attach direct to the battery. I use marine batteries so I have 4 posts to work with but always put my winch on the 2 main posts. And I try to do as little underwater winching as I can...but Warn can do it if you NEED to...
I agree, nothing beats a regular inspection. I have my positive wrapped in split loom from winch to battery. But I do think a battery switch might be a good safety measure. In my set up (and many others), a front end collision could potentially compromise the positive wire. It would be nice to cut power close to the battery until needed for a pull.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree, nothing beats a regular inspection. I have my positive wrapped in split loom from winch to battery. But I do think a battery switch might be a good safety measure. In my set up (and many others), a front end collision could potentially compromise the positive wire. It would be nice to cut power close to the battery until needed for a pull.
You are right on that. But now you are getting into building your own cables. I did that for a client while back, he wanted a plug since he moves his winch around, front to back and on 2 different rigs...one of the reasons I have never had any issues is the way I build cables:

All copper, by plugs are silver plated copper, always soldered, no crimps, welding wire only, not automotive wire, heat shrinked around the connections...My cables will last longer than your car..

This was a custom set to his length(s)

·
Registered
552 Posts
You are right on that. But now you are getting into building your own cables. I did that for a client while back, he wanted a plug since he moves his winch around, front to back and on 2 different rigs...one of the reasons I have never had any issues is the way I build cables: All copper, by plugs are silver plated copper, always soldered, no crimps, welding wire only, not automotive wire, heat shrinked around the connections...My cables will last longer than your car.. This was a custom set to his length(s)
Rest assured that I will be seeking someone locally with your skills. It would be trial and error if I made my own cables... Not sure that would work out for me, or the jeep. Thanks for the welding wire tip though. I'll definitely go that route.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Something like the Warn 62132 http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=92126+0005 would let you disconnect winch power when not in use.
It's basically just a big solenoid and a switch.

As for fuses, i researched a while back. it seems that most high current fuses are either sketchy or quite pricy with little middle ground.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rest assured that I will be seeking someone locally with your skills. It would be trial and error if I made my own cables... Not sure that would work out for me, or the jeep. Thanks for the welding wire tip though. I'll definitely go that route.
To be honest, building your own is really easy and I recommend it if you want the very best.

Any good welding supply has the cable and 2-4 ga is all you will ever need (welding cable carries more amps due to thinner and more wires, plus welding cable is more flexible.

The its merely a matter of ordering the parts, I get them from Del City: Del City - Electrical Supplies & Professional Grade Wiring Products

Then it gets really ez. You buy the size of connectors that MATCH the size of cable. Look at the second pic down I posted and you will see 4 connectors. NOTE the purple stripes on the connectors and the purple "solder bullets". You drop one in the connector, heat with propane torch till it begins to boil and stab your welding wire in there and count to 10, DONE!

Tools needed:

Large wire cutters: $9.95 Harbor Freight

1500 watt heat gun: $9.95 Harbor Freight

Heat Shrink tubing, assorted box: $9.95 Harbor Freight

Propane torch kit: $19.95 Home Depot

Cost to do a set for a Jeep, figure on about $100 using the best quality solid copper stuff like I do.

Time to do a set, about an hour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts