Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove a 2016 Wrangler 2 door Sport 6 speed manual the other night. My question has to do with my foot when shifting. Whenever I shifted, my left foot would hit the OBDII port since it is located right above the clutch. This is not a deal breaker for me, but I'm just curious if anybody else has experienced this issue (I did do a search but found nothing).

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Easy fix, buy an auto and a M.O.R.E. dead pedal :bop:.

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
Drove manual transmission JKs for years but never had that issue.

Maybe the seat was adjusted too high up...?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wearing sneakers at the time, size 12. I got stuck in rush hour stop and go traffic, which is part of the reason why I think I noticed it. I didn't think of adjusting the seat, but I will try that the next time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
As mentioned lower the seat as low as it goes.

Other possibility is that you are 7 feet tall.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The first two days I owned mine I had the same problem. Now after a couple weeks it has not happened again. It's a rather confined space but somehow muscle memory plays a role in resolving.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I had the same issue when I got mine and found it rather annoying. I didn't think there was any way they'd design it like that, with something I'd catch my foot on every time I released the pedal!

I got in there and looked around and there was a great big wiring bundle of some sort that was jutting out above the pedal. That's what I was hitting. I shoved it over to the left and got it to stay there and never had an issue again. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The first two days I owned mine I had the same problem. Now after a couple weeks it has not happened again. It's a rather confined space but somehow muscle memory plays a role in resolving.
+1, wife and I both had the issue while test driving. Getting the seat position right and muscle memory solved it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As mentioned lower the seat as low as it goes.

Other possibility is that you are 7 feet tall.
I'm 6'2", but it was likely that I did not adjust the seat at all when I got in. The position of the seat seemed right, so I just started to drive. As the test drive continued, I tended not to hit it since I knew it was there. Not sure when I will test drive one next, but I will be sure to adjust the seat before I leave the parking lot.

Thanks for all the replies.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I just test drove a 2016 Wrangler 2 door Sport 6 speed manual the other night. My question has to do with my foot when shifting. Whenever I shifted, my left foot would hit the OBDII port since it is located right above the clutch. This is not a deal breaker for me, but I'm just curious if anybody else has experienced this issue (I did do a search but found nothing).

Thanks,

Rich
But the big question is, did you have fun? Pics when you take it home :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same issue when I got mine and found it rather annoying. I didn't think there was any way they'd design it like that, with something I'd catch my foot on every time I released the pedal!

I got in there and looked around and there was a great big wiring bundle of some sort that was jutting out above the pedal. That's what I was hitting. I shoved it over to the left and got it to stay there and never had an issue again. :)
Same here. If you notice on the passenger side, there's a sort of "holder" for this wiring. I couldn't find one on the driver's side, but it's possible it broke off or something (I bought my Jeep used).

I zip-tied that wiring to some other wiring that's attached to a ground to make sure it's all tucked close to the body. No issues since.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm 6'2", but it was likely that I did not adjust the seat at all when I got in. The position of the seat seemed right, so I just started to drive. As the test drive continued, I tended not to hit it since I knew it was there. Not sure when I will test drive one next, but I will be sure to adjust the seat before I leave the parking lot.

Thanks for all the replies.

Rich
I've had my JK for six weeks now and still can't seem to get the seating position 100%. I'm coming from a TJ which I am starting to miss. Amazing how different the seating position can be on the two models.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But the big question is, did you have fun? Pics when you take it home :)
I did enjoy every minute, but doing a test drive at night during rush hour traffic while raining was not the ideal time to test drive. However, when I got back to the dealership (they let me test drive by myself) and told them doing a test drive during rush hour in the rain was not ideal, they said come back on a Saturday when it was sunny and I could test drive it again topless!

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I did enjoy every minute, but doing a test drive at night during rush hour traffic while raining was not the ideal time to test drive. However, when I got back to the dealership (they let me test drive by myself) and told them doing a test drive during rush hour in the rain was not ideal, they said come back on a Saturday when it was sunny and I could test drive it again topless!
In that case you may as well bring your wallet and pen as you will be hooked for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts