Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rube Goldberg
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Jeepers,

This is a question for AEV tire carrier owners, present and past, so if you don't actually own the carrier (or haven't owned the carrier at one time), please don't provide information based on pure speculation. I've gathered a lot of facts, and I'd prefer to stick to the facts.

I know I'm loquacious and detail oriented, so I'll cut to the chase and put the question up top, and if you want to read the further details, be my guest.

Question: Are any of you running the AEV carrier with the MORryde heavy duty tailgate hinges? If so, any issues, or do they work fine together?

More details:
I currently have the TeraFlex Hinge installed on the back of my Jeep, and I'm second guessing the decision. While I think it is a great carrier that will do the job well, and looks great too, I am contemplating going a different direction in my build.

However, one of the reasons I chose the TeraFlex hinge is because it gets rid of those terrible factory hinges that are not reinforced and prone to sagging, rattling and rusting.

If I do go the route of replacing the TeraFlex carrier with the AEV carrier, I've been looking at alternative heavy duty hinges that might work with the AEV tire carrier. As you know, the AEV carrier hugs the body of the Jeep pretty closely, but there is a little space between them.

The favorite hinge thus far is the MORryde heavy duty hinges, which are more substantial than the factory hinges, come powder coated, and also have a reinforced hinge using bushings that are not only able to be greased and serviced, but able to be completely rebuilt using items available at any hardware store... This is pretty awesome.

I have reached out to AEV and they have told me that the point where the factory hinges with plastic covers and the tire carrier come closest to one another is the fully open position and there is approximately a half an inch of space between them at this point.

A forum member who is building an awesome Safari top with barn door has these MORryde hinges on his Jeep and has told me they protrude approximately 3/8" more from the rear of the Jeep than the factory hinges with the plastic covers...

So.. As you can see, I have approximately half an inch of wiggle room at the closest point, and approximately 3/8" of added hinge depth... cutting it close, to say the least.

I have some ideas about how to make this work, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had done this before, and if there are any issues, or if it works like a charm.

Thanks!

Link:

MORryde Heavy Duty JK Tailgate Hinges

Picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I run the AEV Tire Carrier with factory hinges and typically over-do everything but didn't consider the hinge swap. Since the AEV tire carrier takes all of the weight of the tire off the tailgate and puts it onto the frame, I don't really see the concern that most have when putting all of the new-found weight (tire upgrades) onto the existing hinges. In fact, seems like there should be a lot less concern than someone even just running a stock tire. Now you have me curious.

·
Rube Goldberg
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run the AEV Tire Carrier with factory hinges and typically over-do everything but didn't consider the hinge swap. Since the AEV tire carrier takes all of the weight of the tire off the tailgate and puts it onto the frame, I don't really see the concern that most have when putting all of the new-found weight (tire upgrades) onto the existing hinges. In fact, seems like there should be a lot less concern than someone even just running a stock tire. Now you have me curious.
Agreed that the "heavy duty" part from a weight perspective isn't really a necessity. I'm more concerned about reducing possibility of corrosion, and ensuring smooth, creak free operation over the long term by using a hinge that can be greased.

These hinges use a 3/4" OD 11 ga steel tubing that is drilled and tapped with a grease zerk and has a full length .5" OD, 3/8" ID flanged bronzed bushing with a 3/8" stainless steel bolt. In short, a more thoughtful design with longevity in mind.

Another option I've been contemplating is disassembling the factory hinges, having them media blasted and powdercoated, and then trying to replicate the hinge pin design on the factory hinges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts