Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a 97 tj and I love it and everything but my wife is gonna have a baby and I was contemplating trading it in on a new JK. Not sure what I want a 2dr or 4. My TJ is a stick and I like driving the stick. I found a 2013 2dr commando green with hardtop for 27,500. What do you guys think of this deal?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sport? Sahara? I paid 27k for my JK 2 door. Has S package, Hardtop, auto, deep tint, power group. Sounds about right if it has those options. Sticker was $28,600.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I haul my two grandkids around in my 4dr. I don't think I could fit everything they drag around with them in a 2dr.

If this is your first baby, you will have so much "Required Baby Safety Equipment" going with you, you will need a trailer. The second kid just gets velcroed to the roll bar and thier good to go.

I was a middle child; I used to ride in the back window of my dad's convertable going 75 down the freeway.

It's your personal preference, but I recommend the 4dr.
And congrats on the little one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!! I just started looking at JK's but I really like them and I need a reliable vehicle just not sure if I want the 2 or 4 door. I guess I'll go test drive both and see what I like better

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you have (or will soon have) an infant, do not get a 2 door.

I drove a 2 door TJ for 11 years...and loved it...and just upgraded to a 2013 JKR...and one of the things that bugs me is that the passenger seat does not tip anywhere near far enough forward to allow someone to climb easily into the back. Yes, it "tips" (pivots) forward into the dash with pressure (a lot more pressure than a TJ requires), but the result is a much narrower space to climb into the back than a TJ. I used to drive a 6'2" kid to school every day and he was fine in my TJ. My 5'0" daughter complains about climbing into the back of the JKR...as does my 5'3" wife.

I cannot imagine trying to place a baby in a child seat in the back of a 2 door JK.

Best advice - take a spare child seat to a dealer and try it yourself.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'd go with the 4 dr. Putting a baby or a toddler in the back of a 2 dr and then strapping them in is a major pain. A pain in your back that is. You'll have better access to strapping your kid or kids with the 4 dr. If your big and strong and don't mind wrecking your back, more power to you. But I'm sure your wife won't like strapping a baby into the back of a 2 dr. IMO.
I'm just glad your sticking with a Jeep Wrangler. Before the JK & LJ you could look at the personal used car ads and see this - "Baby on the way. Need to sell my wrangler"
Who remembers that? lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a 97 tj and I love it and everything but my wife is gonna have a baby and I was contemplating trading it in on a new JK. Not sure what I want a 2dr or 4. My TJ is a stick and I like driving the stick. I found a 2013 2dr commando green with hardtop for 27,500. What do you guys think of this deal?
Keep the TJ and get a JKU. BTW I got my 2012 JKU Sport S new with with 3.73 and options for $27.8K.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I have a jk and love it. Part of the reason I got it was cost. I couldn't afford the 4 door at the time and since I won't have kids for easily another 6-10 years I'm all set. If 27k is in your price range then definitely go with the 4 door. It's just as capable off road and it'll just be easier to get your baby in the car seat. It'll also be nicer to commute or do road trips In. You should look for one in stick if that's what you like. There are definitely plenty of them. Good luck! And congrats on your baby!

·
Registered
892 Posts
JK = vehicle for a college kid, empty nester or retiree.

JKU = mandatory equipment for anyone with a kid.

You will hate getting your kid in and out of a 2dr. Dont do it!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies! I have some time to look around for the right one. I'll be looking for a 4dr unlimited now. Baby will be here in May so the hunt is on. What year did the new dash design come in? I really like he way the new dash looks and the options. I love my jeep now and I know I'm gonna need the room. The wife has a 2012 Chevy Cruze and that will be good for her and the baby. Thanks for all the advice!! Can't wait to start looking!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Coming from a current 2dr JK owner who is a previous TJ owner, go with the 4 door. The main reason i sold the TJ was because of how much trouble it was to get the infant car seat in and out and as others have stated, how much stuff you "need" to bring along with an infant. My child is 3 now and loves to climb into the 2dr herself so for me now 2dr is a non issue. I spent 3 years in an XJ waiting for her to be old enough to climb in. Also others have posted about the front seats not "pivoting" forward enough on a JK, i find it much easier to access the back seat in the JK compared to the TJ and I'm 6'1". Might be because there is no lift on my JK yet :). Either way you go 2dr or 4dr, you'll learn to adapt. Actually you will be doing that a lot in life with a newborn. Congrats btw.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts