Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used set of hightop flares for my 4 door JKU. Installed the rears today and while cleaning them I noticed the inner and outer “layers” are separating in a few spots. Anyone else encounter this? If so, how did you fix it?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I picked up a used set of hightop flares for my 4 door JKU. Installed the rears today and while cleaning them I noticed the inner and outer “layers” are separating in a few spots. Anyone else encounter this? If so, how did you fix it?
Thanks.
Believe it or not, they are held together with double sided tape. I repaired the damaged set i have by getting 3m double sided tape, cleaning up the inside sides as much as possible, and adding the tape were i could.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe it or not, they are held together with double sided tape. I repaired the damaged set i have by getting 3m double sided tape, cleaning up the inside sides as much as possible, and adding the tape were i could.
Did you have to separate the 2 parts completely? My rears are separating in more than 1 spot. Passenger side is the worst as far as I can see so far. Back edge is separated probably 10 inches, towards front top corner at bend is a few inches and front lower is coming apart too.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Did you have to separate the 2 parts completely? My rears are separating in more than 1 spot. Passenger side is the worst as far as I can see so far. Back edge is separated probably 10 inches, towards front top corner at bend is a few inches and front lower is coming apart too.
i did not fully separate them. i suppose you could and then they would be good for a long time.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Completely separated the inners from the outers yesterday. Separating them wasn't too tough with the use of a plastic putty knife and a hair drier. Getting the tape remnants off took quite a while though w/ rubbing alcohol and Goo Gone.
Reassembled using 3M VHB tape. "Clamped" them w/ electrical tape and some foam pipe insulation to hold in place for the next 72 hours as that is the "cure" time for the VHB tape.
Driver side will get done if/ when the separation gets worse (or Summer comes) as it's confined to the front upper curve at the moment and separating the 2 halves would be more difficult (also my poor fingers need to "heal"
).

I will post pics in my install thread later is anyone if interested.

BTW, you could run the rear flares w/o the inner "liner" portion and they would be more flexible. I am not sure you could do that in the front as the metal brace needs the attachment point. I saw this done on the Step Child JLU Rubicon Jeep (Lite Brite YouTube Channel) but not sure how he managed the fronts w/o the inners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts