Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to drill the holes to clock the transfer case on my '99 TJ to the Cherokee Auto Tranny. I have the Iron Rock Off Road Clocking Jig and it has degrees on part of it. How many degrees do I need to use to correctly clock the TC to the Tranny? It would seem that half way between the holes would be good but I don't want to make a mistake at this point. The next question is: once I have the holes drilled, do I clock the transfer case up to the left or down to the right when facing the rear of the tranny? Your help is appreciated!
Dubs

·
Registered
495 Posts
WHY?why would you do this?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Where are all those who have installed cherokee Automatic transmissions into their TJs?
Dubs
If you look at the bosses that have the holes drilled in them, they have a very specific relationship to the side they are closest to. Just duplicate that relationship at the other side of the machined area. It's roughly 10° or so.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I make a mistake it is very hard to swallow but I do admit it and move on. I was so preoccupied with other things going on in my life right now I did not look at the back of the AW4, just knew I had the jig and was ready to drill. The holes can only be drilled in one area, it will clock in only one direction and I doubt that a degree or two will matter.
Having had a '94 Cherokee Sport I bought new and put well over 200,000 miles on I can attest to the reliability of the AW4 Auto tranny. Although I have no issues with the 5 speed in it now there are those in my family who want to drive the TJ and it needs to be an auto for them to drive it. I know, I could teach them but I am at the age when I would prefer the convenience and ease the AW4 would allow me as well.
Thanks to everyone for waking me up!
And sorry! I will try not to be so stupid next time!
Dubs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts