Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 LJ with what seems to be a 2 inch budget boost . Went to the shop to see how much it would coat to put on 2.5 or 3 inch springs and asked if there was anything else i would need besides new shocks .

He told me that if i do the 2.5-3 inch spring lift that would probably need a slip Yolk for the rear which installed is another 900.00 on top of the springs and shocks

is it true that it will need a slip yolk for just a 2.5 to 3 inch spring lift

Thanks for any information

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yes - Plus other items like adjustable control arms etc. Lifting Jeeps, especially over 3" is not cheap and easy always. Sometimes with a dropped transmission and changing motor mounts you can get away with skipping the SYE, but.... It's a Jeep done right years of joy, done wrong it's a money pit.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
On a 2”, the longer driveshaft of LJ should be ok. Other option is )Lose ground clearance) but I would do a 1” transfer case drop before dropping that coin on a SYE

·
Super Moderator
6,534 Posts
doubt it will be an issue with an LJ but you could do a motor mount lift to lesson the driveline angles.

that said, you should be looking into front adj track bar, rear track bar bracket, bump stop extensions, longer sway bar links, and YJ front brake lines.

if you are going with 33" or larger tires you should upgrade brakes and steering as well as OEM isn't up to the additional forces.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To do it the right way, a SYE would be the go to route. The LJ I bought came with a 4" Skyjacker lift from the previous owner. The kit came utilized a transfer case drop. Besides the lower shift boot getting tore up, I haven't noticed any problems with it. I do plan on changing the lift, but it's fine for now.

If you do the lift and have driveline vibrations, a transfer case drop is the cheapest option.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 04 LJ with a 4 inch lift, and I am not running a sye, transfer case drop or motor mount lift. I don't have any issues with vibrations, however I do have full adjustable control arms.

I am on 33s and don't feel the need to upgrade the brakes yet.

I drive it to the trails, and it probably sees about half the miles I put on it every year on the trail or on the way to the trail.

It all depends on what you are doing with the jeep. If you just want the look, probably leave it the way it is. If you are going to take it off road, take a closer look at where you want to go and decide if a smaller lift is really what you need.

·
Registered
412 Posts
No you do not need an SYE with 4" or less of lift on an LJ. Yes 04'-06' TJs & LJs are nearly the exact same vehicle, however there is a significant difference in the length of the driveline (10"). What you will need is adjustable control arms (at least the rear uppers) to reset the pinion angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you just want to go up about an inch, you could save a boat load of money by keeping your current 2" lift and adding a 1.25" body lift...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
$900 for an SE installed?? The kit costs like $250, so they want $650 in labor? Dang I've saved sooooo much money by doing everything myself..

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I too detest a body lift, in general. My TJ had a 3 inch on it when I bought it. I took it out and replaced it with a 1.25" as mentioned. This was a great idea. It has helped me with a lot of clearance issues along the way. As always opinions will differ. But that has been mine. I also have a 4 inch lift and a one inch skid plate drop. YMMV -Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
We've done more LJ suspensions than I can count and generally don't have driveline issues with the smaller lifts on LJ's.

We do most of our 33" tire packages with OME 2.5" coils and a 1.25" body lift.
Excellent low COG option and performs and looks great.

I agree that a 3" body lift is a no-go. I also agree that a 1.25" body lift is a great way to fit 33's on a low COG suspension without all the looks and mechanical penalties of the bigger body lifts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts