Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about this leveling kit, mostly to get rid of the rake, and an additional 1.5" to 2" wont be bad, as I'm running 285 70 17 km3 tires.

I read some threads on this kit, people say the Rancho 9000xl is a good match for the kit.

My question is, which I couldn't find much answers to, how is the drive on and offroad?
Also, would I need any other parts with this kit?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just put this exact set up on the wife's 2 door. I would just say the shocks are the only other thing needed. I would NOT use the shock extenders that come with the kit. I dont know how many miles you have on your jeep, but might as well add new shocks with new springs and REALLY enjoy the ride. Factory shocks are junk. I can tell you that on road it drives way better than stock! It is not squishy anymore , way less body roll in corners and almost no nose dive when braking. I have not had the time to try any of the adjustments, but it rides terrific! As far as off-road ride quality, i can not comment. The only thing this jeep will crawl over is speed bumps and parking curbs.

Reactions: Sabrewulf

·
Registered
994 Posts
Actually improves off road performance. I have identical setup and you can adjust the shocks firmness, so switch between soft and firm to accommodate conditions I experienced significant improvement on and off road.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I should spend the extra bucks for this one.

Teraflex 1.5 in. Sport S/T1 Suspension Lift Kit, paired with the fox shocks.

Cant decide on a 1.5 or 2.5 lift. I hear people say that I will need new drive shafts with any lift over 2 inches.

Forgot to mention, my jk has 55,000 miles. I offroad once or twice a month, mostly steep hill climbs, no rock crawling.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Wow, 4wheelparts quoted me 900 for install and said would be 8 hours.
It is easy enough to install it yourself. I would not take it to 4WP to install. And a shop should only take about 4 hours to install that kit. 8 hours at a shop is crazy. You could do it at home in that amount of time, without a lift.

If you aren't sure about installing it yourself, talk to people in the local Jeep club. Often Jeepers will help other Jeeps with things like installing a lift. Or find a better local shop.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Wow, 4wheelparts quoted me 900 for install and said would be 8 hours.
I agree with @GuzziMoto, do not take it to 4WP. It really is not that hard. I installed the TF 2.5" lift myself without issue. All you need are two jack stands and a place to do the work; I get how sometimes this is not an option, but if you have the space and tools, it is not a hard install. You will have a much better understanding of how everything works if you do this.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Its 8 hours on the garage floor by yourself with two jacks and hand tools.
Not at a shop, that's a screw job...

If you think the 1.5"-2" wouldn't be bad, I would hold off and buy a better lift that will suit your needs when you have the cash and have done enough research to make it a DIY project

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My jeep does not fit in the garage :(
It is an old house and my driveway is slightly slanted.

I would love to install it myself. I did my lift on my ZJ long ago, but got the death wobble. I would say I'm not the best mechanic haha.

Found a shop nearby that'll do it for 500 plus alignment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd look into Rancho 2" kit w/ 9000xl shocks. Progressive springs are more ideal than the linear style offered by Tera + I think the shocks come out cheaper when paired with the kit.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
No worries. The TF springs will deliver a nicer, more compliant ride than the Rancho progressive springs.
Both kits have their advantages and disadvantages. The kit you say you ordered is a nicer kit than the Rancho kit. More money, yeah. But better.
Neither kit, Rancho or TeraFlex, addresses caster change. You may find after installing either kit that you no longer have enough caster and that can make steering nervous or twitchy. If so, either add a set of Rancho geometry brackets or a set of longer or adjustable lower front control arms.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries. The TF springs will deliver a nicer, more compliant ride than the Rancho progressive springs.
Both kits have their advantages and disadvantages. The kit you say you ordered is a nicer kit than the Rancho kit. More money, yeah. But better.
Neither kit, Rancho or TeraFlex, addresses caster change. You may find after installing either kit that you no longer have enough caster and that can make steering nervous or twitchy. If so, either add a set of Rancho geometry brackets or a set of longer or adjustable lower front control arms.
The shops I called said that caster wont be affected by a 1.5" lift. We will see.

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
The shops I called said that caster wont be affected by a 1.5" lift. We will see.
so how it works is it gives you 2" in front and 1" in rear. It depends where you are at from stock as some wranglers already are on the low side of caster so if you are on the lower end you might need some correction you might not. for the record I have used the TF performance coils and they ride nice.

Reactions: Sabrewulf

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
As you lift a solid axle vehicle with control arms, caster changes. That is unavoidable, pretty much. The question isn't whether caster will change, but rather if the new caster after the lift will still deliver satisfactory performance.
As jadmt said, see how it goes. You may still have adequate caster after the lift. It depends on how much you had before the lift and how much lift you get from those springs. There is a fairly wide range of "stock" when it comes to JK / JKU's. For example, each version (JK or JKU) can come with four different springs depending on a variety of factors. Plus there are the "special" editions like the 10A and Recon that come with a fifth option (even taller) for springs.
So nt everyone will get the same results from a given spring, it depends on where you were as a starting point.
Try the springs as is. If it doesn't drive to your satisfaction after the new springs are installed, either get the geometry brackets or get new lower front control arms to correct the caster. No worries. Just see how it goes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts