Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm still waiting for my first Jeep to be delivered but looking at security options. I will have manual half doors. I've been leaning towards getting a good Viper alarm with proximity sensor. The thought is that I didn't want anyone lingering around my jeep, especially for the short periods I have it parked with door uppers and soft top off.

But a lot of comments I've read say that this is a waste of money and that the proximity sensors are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Many also say to save my money and simply get some lock boxes for storage.

So for those of you that have aftermarket alarms with proximity sensors, would you do it again? Is it worth the money? If you had to do it all over again would you rather buy locking storage and call it a day?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I did both. Prox sensor to a different alarm than the factory one. I also added the rear trunk security. If I leave anything in the Jeep it is in that rear trunk area. Sure it is not fully protected, but it is out of site and keeps low budget thieves away.

I added the prox sensor and wired it with the sensor in the middle console - actually in the center flip up portion of the console. Works very well if someone sticks a hand inside when activated. I set it with the soft top off and it works the same with the soft top on or off. I usually turn it off when I have the hard top on.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Waste of money, If you have a soft top, just dont leave ANYTHING in it. Next option is lock boxes.

If they want your stuff with a soft top it literally takes 2 minutes to get to....leave your doors unlocked, that way they dont slash your top

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did both. Prox sensor to a different alarm than the factory one. I also added the rear trunk security. If I leave anything in the Jeep it is in that rear trunk area. Sure it is not fully protected, but it is out of site and keeps low budget thieves away.

I added the prox sensor and wired it with the sensor in the middle console - actually in the center flip up portion of the console. Works very well if someone sticks a hand inside when activated. I set it with the soft top off and it works the same with the soft top on or off. I usually turn it off when I have the hard top on.
I've read your threads. If I get the proximity sensor, I will definitely have it installed in the lid of the console as you did.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waste of money, If you have a soft top, just dont leave ANYTHING in it. Next option is lock boxes.

If they want your stuff with a soft top it literally takes 2 minutes to get to....leave your doors unlocked, that way they dont slash your top
At the very least, I plan to get an under seat lock box. I plan to leave the doors open as well. But don't you think that having an alarm triggered by a proximity sensor makes some sense?

·
Registered
494 Posts
At the very least, I plan to get an under seat lock box. I plan to leave the doors open as well. But don't you think that having an alarm triggered by a proximity sensor makes some sense?
Not really. If its a teen they will only check under the seats, the console and glove box for anything valuable...wallet, cellphone, Handguns. I dont keep any of those in my jeep...

If its a Pro that wants Your Jeep, Its already gone, just carry full coverage.

Id rather someone look through my jeep than slash my windows/top

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have the large Tuffy enclosure in the rear and consider it plenty secure...but then I don't live in or anywhere near a high crime area. If I did, I'd move. I also installed a Viper alarm with proximity sensor wired completely separate from the OEM alarm. The sensor is behind the center console and, once adjusted properly, does a great job of covering the entire interior. I don't consider either to be a waste of money.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Not a waste of money for me either. I got the prox sensor and the audible horn for like $60 total and I wired it all up myself. Was a great project. A couple of relays and a kill switch was all it needed. Now I can leave it on and the ignition starts/stops it or I can turn it off. Great for when there is no top on - which is pretty much all summer. Mostly just to deter interested passer by grabs. But again nothing to grab is the key. I have a removable face high end Pioneer HU and I leave no other valuables in the interior. My amp and sub are in the rear under the Tuffy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a waste of money for me either. I got the prox sensor and the audible horn for like $60 total and I wired it all up myself. Was a great project. A couple of relays and a kill switch was all it needed. Now I can leave it on and the ignition starts/stops it or I can turn it off. Great for when there is no top on - which is pretty much all summer. Mostly just to deter interested passer by grabs. But again nothing to grab is the key. I have a removable face high end Pioneer HU and I leave no other valuables in the interior. My amp and sub are in the rear under the Tuffy.
i have a 2014 jku sahara looking to install a promixty sensor with a horn.
how did you install yours.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Not really. If its a teen they will only check under the seats, the console and glove box for anything valuable...wallet, cellphone, Handguns. I dont keep any of those in my jeep... If its a Pro that wants Your Jeep, Its already gone, just carry full coverage. Id rather someone look through my jeep than slash my windows/top
I agree with all this. I don't know that a proximity sensor is a waste, especially if it makes you feel better, so you'll have to decide that on your own. Fwiw I don't have one, but I never leave anything of value in my Jeep.

I will say if a pro wants your Jeep, next to having a Rot or Pit hanging in your front seat, it's gone before anyone is gonna notice an alarm going off. Most people don't even think twice about an alarm sounding anymore.

Good advice on not locking your vehicle up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i have a 2014 jku sahara looking to install a promixty sensor with a horn.
how did you install yours.
I connected the 1st stage alarm wire to the horn. The prox sensor has 2 stages. First one is a very short signal which creates a chirp on the alarm horn.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I did the same as Moabite and Lyskey...Viper alarm, Tuffy box under the driver's seat, and Tuffy enclosure in the rear. I run rock doors and no top all summer long, and haven't had any issues with the alarm, once I got it adjusted properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts