Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to have a Viper 3305v 2-way alarm installed in my JKUWW with half-doors this Saturday. Even though I know the limitations of alarms, I'm still going through with it.

In what situation would a proximity sensor be helpful? I plan to keep my jeep unlocked but armed. I have half door so I will not go doorless. If someone tried to open my doors, the alarm would go off. If someone tried to take off my wheels, the shock sensor would go off. Am I missing something? Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
The proximity alarm is useful if you have the top off or naked and if someone was to reach inside your jeep the alarm will go off ....the problem I have , is when is windy it goes off easily. Other than that I like it .

good luck .

·
Registered
700 Posts
Getting ready to have a Viper 3305v 2-way alarm installed in my JKUWW with half-doors this Saturday. Even though I know the limitations of alarms, I'm still going through with it.

In what situation would a proximity sensor be helpful? I plan to keep my jeep unlocked but armed. I have half door so I will not go doorless. If someone tried to open my doors, the alarm would go off. If someone tried to take off my wheels, the shock sensor would go off. Am I missing something? Thanks!
I have Viper too and love it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses.

The viper alarm comes with a shock sensor, which would go off if someone tried to take my wheels off. If someone opened my doors, the alarm would also go off. Is that not all I need? Even if I have my top off, I presume if someone wanted to steal something or look in the console, they would open the door and then the alarm would trigger.

In what other situation would the proximity sensor be helpful? Just trying to figure out the best option for me. I can see a proximity sensor being a must if I drive naked with doors off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have had experiences with motion sensors - microwave sensors on alarm systems (not so much proximity). The problem I experienced with motion sensors, if you have the sensitivity turned up too high, it will go off constantly. Things that would set off alarm;

- Cloudy overcast days
- Parking under trees, moving branches by gusts of wind
- Wind gusts shaking vehicle
- Birds flying over

For me, ended up turning the motion sensor sensitivity down so much, it was not worth having it. Great idea having one, but you will most likely get annoyed with the false alarms, and complaining neighbors.

Just my 2-cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts