Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. First time looking into buying a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and I have a question. I'm looking at this for my daughter and I have heard that the soft top can be a bear to put on. I was also told that the new top on the '13's would be easier. Can one small girl put this up should she get caught in the rain? Obviously I have zero experience.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My wife, who is 5'2", can put the top of our 2010 up if she stands in the back. The new models have a spring assist, making it even easier than ours. The harder part, it seems, is being able to pull it down/forward to latch it in front (above visors).

S

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Lucky damn daughter lol but I'm sure if you taught it to her with her she wouldn't have a problem but everything is easier with two people

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
She shouldn't have a problem with it. Even with you calling her small. On the Sahara she's got the side steps to stand on so she'll be high enough to do it. Take her to a dealership and give it a test run to see if she can do it. This way there's no questions in your mind and the dealer can show her how it's done too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Post your location and I'm sure someone will show you their jeep and let you put top up and down. Dealers don't know the jeeps they're selling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Should not be a problem,i own a 2013 but i have yet to fold the top down,but the sunrider option is your best bet,it is so easy to flip back(this is the front half of the soft top)and if you unzip and roll up the rear soft window,you get a ton of air rollin down the road and takes about 2 min to roll back down and close the sunrider you could do that before any storm hit if you were on highway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I have seen the Sunrider option and that looks pretty simple. Is that different from the factory soft top? Another question. Most of the dealers around me (Southeast Michigan) only stock the hard top versions. Do you think I would be better off looking for the dual top option (factory soft top) or going after market? Are there better/more cost effective options out there? My posts just scream Newbie!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lots of opinions on buying one or dual tops. I ordered both, got my 13' JKU in August and just put the hard top on today (Cleveland). I like the factory soft top with sunrider, because it takes seconds to fold it back and I frequently take my labrador in the back and don't like having the whole top down with him climbing around back there. 80% of when I had the top open so far has been with sunrider back, 15% with top down, and 5% with top off. I think any teenager would be able to raise lower the factory soft top if she dedicated an hour to figuring it out in the driveway first. The hardest part is when the soft top is new you have to unhook the rear corners to get the front to latch at the top of windshield then rehook the rear corners to the bed. My '13 was a pain for about a month, but now is easy and if the weather is warm, I can hook the front without unhooking the rear corners. Regardless, having put it up and down about 40 times I can do it in my parking garage in about 5 minutes.

Many will tell you to buy one top (usually hard) and then get a cheaper soft top for the summer. I like the factory one however, and if I didn't live in the snow belt and want to carry skis up there could easily live with only the factory soft.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm sure she would be able to do it easily. It's just a matter of figuring out how to do it and getting used to how it works. I can put to top up on my JKU ('11 so no spring assist), by myself in under a minute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts