Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent over an hour trying to disconnect the door wires so I can remove my doors. Can't get either of them to let go. Tried moving red switch up and down, neither disengages the snap. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
690 Posts
There is a little red slider on each connector. I think you slide that up and then push the plastic under that and it should release from the housing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had a hart time the first time too to get it unplugged. Just pull hard and it will come off. You can also try to wiggle it left to right while holding the peace that stay in the Jeep in place with your other hand.

Hope this help you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
There is a little red slider on each connector. I think you slide that up and then push the plastic under that and it should release from the housing.
x2. My passenger door won't release without pushing down (in) on the plastic under the red slider.

·
Registered
414 Posts
x2. My passenger door won't release without pushing down (in) on the plastic under the red slider.
x3. Make sure you slide the red locking plastic then you have to press in on the black tab and pull.

BTW, I don't slide the red locking plastic thing back when I re-connect. I figure the black tab clicking into place is enough. The red thing is overkill (and annoying)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Joe. It is a THREE step procedure to remove the connector.
(1) Slide the red lock up
(2) Just below the red clip, squeeze INWARD quite hard, this releases a second tyne style retainer
(3) Gently pull down
You don't need a lot of force to remove the connector.

Also: Make sure you don't let your door swing open when you remove the check strap, or the mirror mount will dent the side cowl panel. I also recommend that you open the window before disconnecting the connector. It makes carrying the door MUCH easier and lowers it's center of gravity. Holding the door from the inside, put an arm through the open window and grab the outside handle, slide the other hand under the door hem edge nearest the hinges. Oscillating the door open and closed by about 3 inches, apply a constant force lift. Don't yank and jerk at it. Get ready for a +50lbs lift!! First time is a pig, it gets easier from there onward.

Regards
dg

·
Registered
94 Posts
The bottom part of the harness, below the red slider, where you push to disengage the two parts is the "Female" part of the coupling. Hold the top part on the joined coupling near the wiring but not holding the wires, making sure your not holding both sections when trying to pull them apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts