Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 14 Wrangler 30K miles. Went in for basic service at dealership on Wed. Oil change and "21 point inspection" I've had the same mechanic for 12 years; so I never use the dealer, but they offered me 4 free oil changes so I figured WTH. Well when I was leaving my gas light had just came on. about 2 miles down I stopped for gas, drove 35 miles home stopped had dinner, went home for a few minutes, went back out drove about three miles to the softball field when we got back in the car the engine malfunction light was on. First thing I did was adjust the gas cap, although it had clicked when I put it on at the station. Called the dealership the next am, they told me it takes 3 cycles for the cap to "reset" after being tightened properly. ok. So I pulled over three times on my way to work. Nothing. by the time I got to work, car running rough and had that caralytic converter odor. At lunch time I went out and now had a blinking light instead of solid and still running rough and had odor. Called and took car in. 5 hours later, they told me it was a code for the oxygen sensor and they reset the code and fixed the problem. Ok. they drove the car 15 miles and no problem. I picked the car up and didnt get 2 miles and same thing happened. odor and almost stalling. brought it back again. First they tell me that driving with my gas light might have blown a fuel cell?! Really, do I look that dumb. Then they tell me they are going to do a fuel sample. Ok.
So I call the gas station, they run a sample of the gas, find no water in their tank. Thankfully, I called quick enough that the tank had not emptied from when I got gas night before last. I am now waiting for the morons at the dealership to come up with a plan B.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
It sounds like a tank of bad fuel, regardless of what the gas station will admit to. I'm sure they do not want to be held liable for any resulting engine problems customers may have had.

Drive it until that tank is almost empty or siphon it out and fill it with gas from a different station and see if the problem goes away. You may have to reset the fault code. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10+ minutes should do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel tested clear by the dealership and i called the station and they tested and it was clear

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If the "gas cap" indicator goes off it can take up to 3 on/off cycles driving at least 10-20 min. between each cycle. That by itself should not cause your probem. As far as what the issue could be, they'll have to diagnose it. There are too many variables to give you a "forum" diagnosis. However, it does seem like there was some bad gas involved along the way. If you haven't already, the next time you fill up don't use an off brand fuel if that applies. Don't attempt to siphon fuel, a JK fuel fill tube check valve won't allow it. The dealer would have to remove it if they make that decision, but it seems that they are satisfied with the results of the test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts