Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one all prepared and ready for install just need the mountstop weld on. Question is I have 3.55 gears in front and the 8.8 has 3.55 I just want to make sure that it will still work. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Question is I have Dana 30 3.54 gears in front and the 8.8 has 3.55 I just want to make sure that it will still work. Thanks in advance

Yes you can run offroad even if the gears are just a few off but you can't run
3:07's front and 3:73's in the rear in 4wd.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Im not sure mine came from the factory this way(bought it, previously beaten) but I have 4.10 front & 4.11 rear.Seems to run O.K.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard that the front will be a little diff very little. So that when running 4 wheel the front will actually be moving a little faster so it is doing more pulling in front the back. But like I said thats what I was told not sure if its true but kinda makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
.01:1 difference is hardly anything at all. There is now reason at all to worry.

Different tire pressure front to rear will change your overall ratio more than that.

Different weight will as well.

Most the time when you see trucks with factory 4.10:1 rear 4.09:1 front its because that's what the factory had.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
You should be fine with the 3.55s. That said, you're probably going to want to bump both up to 4.10 or 4.56 or 4.88 eventually to get a little more low end grunt.

Denis

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
denisbaldwin said:
You should be fine with the 3.55s. That said, you're probably going to want to bump both up to 4.10 or 4.56 or 4.88 eventually to get a little more low end grunt.

Denis
I have the i6 as of right now I have plenty of low end for what i do only running 31 inch will be 33 in future if all plans go right.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I have the i6 as of right now I have plenty of low end for what i do only running 31 inch will be 33 in future if all plans go right.
OK cool... then you should be all set. I'm so used to the underpowered 2.5 that gears are typically the first thing I recommend.

Denis

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
The difference between the front and rear is because of the different ring gear sizes in differentials. The only time the front and rear are the same is when you have the same differential. For example D44 in both f/r or D60 in f/r.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nick50471 said:
The difference between the front and rear is because of the different ring gear sizes in differentials. The only time the front and rear are the same is when you have the same differential. For example D44 in both f/r or D60 in f/r.
That makes sense.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
nick50471 said:
That's not always true.

I had a dodge with D60 rear with factory 3.55:1 and 8 lug D44 (might of been the "spicer44") front with factory 3.55:1

But it is true for most.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts