Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a whining noise coming from a recently installed ARB with new 4.88 gears in my rear D44.

I place it on jackstands, removed the wheels and drums. Placed the Transfer case in neutral, and can turn either axle, and the driveline doesn't turn.

I start the engine, get the driveline spinning, and the axles rotate. I can use my hand to stop the axle, go over to the other side and can also stop the axle. I lock the ARB, and both axles are locked good.

I thought the ring side axle was always locked and was direct with the driveline. When the ARB is locked, both axles are direct with the driveline. It seems as if the ARB is minimum slip when not locked.

My question is,... is that the way the ARB is supposed to act?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I'm not too sure what your asking, but when its unlocked it's just an open differential. The one with least resistance turns.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had them installed, the top was off, and has been off all summer. I never heard any noise that would set off any alarms. I also only maybe put a couple hundred miles on the jeep. I put the top on last week and the noise came through the tub louder than I felt it should be. I have an appointment with the people that installed them. Gonna get to the bottom of it on Monday.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,122 Posts
Any whining is coming from the new gears, not the ARB locker. I've had four sets of new R&P gears installed over the years and only one set whined... they had been set up incorrectly and the shop had to reinstall a new set. Properly set up gears will not whine, whining is not normal nor is it part of the break-in process.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Properly set up gears will not whine, whining is not normal nor is it part of the break-in process.
What I was thinking.
I didn't think it was the locker, but never saw that there are spider gears inside an ARB. That's why I was wondering if the ring side should be always engaged.

Yeah, I can see the shop trying to gank me. They don't want to bring the customer back there to show them what is going on with their stuff. I'm probably done with them after this ordeal. I know they won't want to replace the gears if the set up is wrong. 2 hundred miles, hopefully the gears are still in good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts