Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will flusing a heater core with a 3 gallon bucket of water, pouring it into a transmission funnel thats running into the heater hose still work just as well as using a hose on it? I read the heater cores have a pressure limit and didnt want to risk blowing out the core with too high of a pressure thru the hose.
I read another guys comment online about doing it this way but questioning if it will really work?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I’ve not tried it this way, but I also doubt you’ll blow your core out with a garden hose. A pressure washer maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Will flusing a heater core with a 3 gallon bucket of water, pouring it into a transmission funnel thats running into the heater hose still work just as well as using a hose on it? I read the heater cores have a pressure limit and didnt want to risk blowing out the core with too high of a pressure thru the hose.
I read another guys comment online about doing it this way but questioning if it will really work?
I use a drill powered rotary fluid transfer pump. I have a couple, including one that still works perfect and is over 30 years old. Not sure if the new ones will last that long, but they work. Just remove the heater hose ends from the water pump and thermostat housing, hook the pump up and supply from a gallon of distilled water. If you are concerned about pressure, you can even put one end in the distilled water source, and hook the pump up to the other and draw the water through the heater core. If you want to see the results of your efforts you can always pump it into an old Sparklett’s bottle or some other container. I usually do 2-3 gallons when I am using this method.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
I have reverse flushed heater cores with a garden hose. I think my water pressure at my house is around 30 lbs. Naturally the pressure going through the heater core isn't 30 lbs. with the hose connected to the outlet and the inlet open to the atmosphere.
I usually just stick the end of the hose nozzle into the return heater hose and leave the heater core inlet hose disconnected from where it's normally connected, which on my YJ is the rear of the intake manifold.

When I had my heater core out because it was seeping, I took it to a radiator repair shop and they boiled it out and soldered the seeping seam. I didn't have to flush it and it works great.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No way in the world flushing with a garden hose will hurt the core... At least not if you have the other end open..

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
No way in the world flushing with a garden hose will hurt the core... At least not if you have the other end open..
Now that would be some funny stuff!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts