Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped out my stock tires on my Wrangler Unlimited 08 for new 33" Pro Comp mud-tread tires. The jeep with new tires make a very loud humming noise (similar to when you ride a bike) when the jeep gets on the highway that almost becomes deafening. The Jeep has also lost a lot of speed and acceleration. Is this normal and just due to the increased surface area and friction or something I should get checked out.

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Harmonic vibration. If you have mud tires, get used to it. The bigger the tread, the more noise. Sometimes they get quieter and sometimes they get louder. Some tires make a lot more noise then other too. Pro Comp M/Ts are pretty loud from my experience.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is normal with MT even some AT will hum more do to the tread pattern.

Lost get up and go is because of the larger/ heavier tires. You should reprogram the PCM for the larger tires. Your next step would be to regear your diffs if you can't live with the power loss.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Yup, that's why people are always talking about how noisy a tire is. Most times they are referring to highway speeds.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Harmonic vibration. If you have mud tires, get used to it. The bigger the tread, the more noise. Sometimes they get quieter and sometimes they get louder. Some tires make a lot more noise then other too. Pro Comp M/Ts are pretty loud from my experience.
Harmonics would be if the tires were making the cage or something else make noises.

The tires make noise because the tread is broken up into lugs and the noise comes from the outside edge of the lugs hitting the ground. Think of it as a dozens of small pieces of rubber slapping the ground at once.

To the OP, while the ProComps do make some noise they are no where near deafening. Wait till you ride in a jeep where you and your passages have to litterly yell at each other to have a conversation and the radio is useless.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Harmonics would be if the tires were making the cage or something else make noises.

The tires make noise because the tread is broken up into lugs and the noise comes from the outside edge of the lugs hitting the ground. Think of it as a dozens of small pieces of rubber slapping the ground at once.

To the OP, while the ProComps do make some noise they are no where near deafening. Wait till you ride in a jeep where you and your passages have to litterly yell at each other to have a conversation and the radio is useless.
Damn! I always wanted to use Harmonic Vibration in a quote correctly. My bad, I thought it was the correct answer.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Try on a set of super swamper Boggers for a week then go back to your current tires... they'll seem much quieter

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn! I always wanted to use Harmonic Vibration in a quote correctly. My bad, I thought it was the correct answer.
It sounded legit lol

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Normal. Performance is marginal at best having a 3.8 with a 4dr. JK, especially if it has the auto. trans and 3.21 gears. I have a 3.8. The only thing that saves it is having a 2dr., manual trans., and 4.10's. If you factor in your tires, you might not be satisfied with the performance. Don't be in a rush and enjoy the ride. Any time there's a tire change with a JK, if at all possible, a Road Force balance should be utilized. Your tires will still hum but you'll have the best balancing you can get.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
I recently swapped out my stock tires on my Wrangler Unlimited 08 for new 33" Pro Comp mud-tread tires. The jeep with new tires make a very loud humming noise (similar to when you ride a bike) when the jeep gets on the highway that almost becomes deafening. The Jeep has also lost a lot of speed and acceleration. Is this normal and just due to the increased surface area and friction or something I should get checked out.

Any insight would be appreciated.
The tire noise is pretty normal and there isn't much you can do about it other than swapping out the tires.

The acceleration and speed can be rectified. Do you have any automatic transmission? Did you use a Tuner to change the tire size in the computer? If not, that will help. If you did, the way to get the rest of the performance back would be gears. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You think the pro comp xtreme mt2's are loud now, wait until it wears. Worst tires I ever owned for a daily driver...then again, this was before my internet forum days and didn't research much. I was just talked into buying it from the local 4wp event.
Sounds familar man, it was even the same seller: 4WP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tire noise is pretty normal and there isn't much you can do about it other than swapping out the tires.

The acceleration and speed can be rectified. Do you have any automatic transmission? Did you use a Tuner to change the tire size in the computer? If not, that will help. If you did, the way to get the rest of the performance back would be gears. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan
Thanks Ryan, that is helpful. I do have an auto transmission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts