Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Ok, so I'm going to change my axle ratio to achieve a higher" legal" towing capacity. Going from 3.21 to 3.73
For just the parts the dealership quoted me $794 for the ring and pinion and $442 for the spider gears. Does this sound right? Labor hasn't even been addressed yet. Anyone in t he greater Cleveland area know of a good Jeep Guy who could quite me?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Consider going to the larger 4.10 gears.

Are these OEM parts since it's a dealer shop?

Prices are in the right range.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Going from 3:21 to 3:73 is not worth the money you will spend to do so. It is said that if you're going to change gears go two steps up or down to see any real difference. Like spinlock mentions, think about 4:10's. You would be looking at a couple hours labor for each diff on top of your parts prices. I looked into a gear change for my 4x4 truck about 4 years ago here and was quoted $3400.00 for parts and labor. OK just let me bend over. Needless to say my truck never did get regeared. Hopefully you can do it cheaper.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I think $1500 is a decent average price.

And yeah, if you are going to re-gear, you might as well make it worth your while. At least 4.10's and go to 33" wheels (assuming you want to stay close to stock). Since you have the gearing to handle the weight, get some bumpers and armor as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,386 Posts
As above, think about at least going to 4.10's. I was looking for an advertised sale I had, one of our local 4x4 shops was advertising a $1000 re-gear... I was thinking it was Desert Rat, but I can't locate the ad.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
$800 for a ring and pinion?

sure I guess they are OEM parts but I buy dana 60 ring and pinions for less than $200

by your wording I cant tell if thats just the rear or the front as well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Go to 4.56. 3.21 to 3.73 complete waste

·
Registered
971 Posts
No amount off gear change will change the "legal" tow rating all vehicle weight and combination weight ratings are set at the factory and specific to your vehicle and any mods. will not change that. There is a lot more to the rated tow capacity than just the ability to pull the load

·
Registered
371 Posts
Morning,

Ok, so I'm going to change my axle ratio to achieve a higher" legal" towing capacity. Going from 3.21 to 3.73
For just the parts the dealership quoted me $794 for the ring and pinion and $442 for the spider gears. Does this sound right? Labor hasn't even been addressed yet. Anyone in t he greater Cleveland area know of a good Jeep Guy who could quite me?
Weight ratings on passenger vehicles do not have the force of law. Weight limits are enforceable on commercial vehicles only. Otherwise anyone towing a trailer would have to stop at weigh stations just like big-rigs.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Weight ratings on passenger vehicles do not have the force of law. Weight limits are enforceable on commercial vehicles only. Otherwise anyone towing a trailer would have to stop at weigh stations just like big-rigs.
This is true BUT if you are involved in an accident then legal has a whole new meaning when determining fault and liability and believe me you don't want to be there I speak from experiance:censored:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Which law school?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Morning,

Help me out here. I'm not particularly familiar with D44's/30's, but why would you need to change the spider gears?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts