Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to paint an unmounted windshield frame in preparation for replacing my current one. The unmounted frame has a cracked windshield, so I plan on having a window company install it once the frame is painted & mounted.

Considering the current (unmounted) glass is cracked, is there any reason why I shouldn't just shatter the rest to make pulling out the rubber molding easier?

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
You will find that removing the old windshield isn't as easy as simply smashing it with a BFH.
What I would do is take the windshield frame to your favorite glass shop and purchase a new windshield and installation (about $150.00). They will remove the old glass and send you on your way with the bare windshield frame.
Once you have the W/S frame painted and bolted back on the Jeep, take the Jeep to the glass shop to have them install the windshield that you have already paid for.
The price should be the same to replace the windshield if they remove the old one or if you remove it.
I am a bodyman (retired) and fully capable to change windshields but for the BS of what it takes to change a windshield I have the glass company do it all.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Changing YJ windshields is a major pain in the ass. more than half the time, even glass guys will crack a good windshield trying to pop it out. I know it sounds stupid, but it is not like popping out a car or truck windshield that is extremely easy.

A guy near me has a ton of windshields that are good in the frames. Been building Jeeps for a very long time. He will not sell glass by itself because of how many break when he tries to remove them. He only sells the frame and windshield together. LOL

Every other vehicle I own, if the windshield cracks, I go and pull a new one from the JY in hardly any time at all and will pop it in my truck. Not for YJ's though. I take them to the glass guys.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If you just want to do it your self, then go buy a new gasket [rubber], and then cut the old one off the old glass and trough it away, do your work and paint, an go to a good glass shop, and have them install a new glass with your new rubber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts