Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically what should I upgrade in order to support 35 inch tires, 315/75/16, and a 3 inch lift?

The jeep I bought supposedly has a 3 inch lift and 285/75/16 tires. I have just replace or rather spent money to rebuild the 4wd drive shaft. It most likely broke when I took it 4wheeling that day and a few days to come. Rough trails but not difficult and no high spends that would make me think ooops. I guess the boot broke and oil leaked from drive shaft.

Is there anything else I need to do or look at after upgrading tires (which they are now 315/75/16, 35inch tires,) and having the lift?

The repair shop told me they rebuilt the drive shaft to support bigger tires. The one before couldnt support them.

I also have to replace the shocks, they were bilsteins if thats how you say it. I am thinking terraflex 2.1 sports

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Sounds like you have most of the stuff required to run 35s. What gear ratio do you have in your differentials?
What year is this Jeep?
Generally all you need is 2 1/2” -3” lift and a gear swap to run 35s. The factory driveshaft can handle it but like everything else, will wear out in time. If you plan on running 35s on the factory wheels you will require wheel spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,878 Posts
Wheel spacers. If not your articulation and mid to full turn will rub. Also depends on what front bumper you have. Factory... and it ill rub the inner fender/ bottom splash guard. Spacers fix that.

I like Bilstein. One of the best in the business (AEV) uses Bilstein on their builds. TeraFlex has had some recent issues that I have read on here with early seal failure. Not sure if it was the 2.1 or another, but its on here somewhere.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/24-146708-bilstein-5100-series-gas-shock-front

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/24-146715-bilstein-5100-series-gas-shock-rear

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bilsteins seemed cheaper so I bought the terraflex sport 2.1 already lol. I am hoping they fix the wobbling all over the road issue. Plus saving my tires from getting chopped up.

2007 jeep wranlger jku x, 3inch cloak lift i was told, seems to measure up. Springs are 15inches-12=3inches. Tires do not rub at all, not even a little. The sellers note from a year ago mentioned new axel and gears and something about 3:55 gears. They also mentioned replacing front brake pads, ball joints and abs sensor.

My MPH seems to match up with google maps now and the superchips. My MPH was slower than my read when I had bald 33inch tires. The jeep seems to have all of the pieces for a legit lift kit.

I am looking into newer sway bar, that is stock, bump stops dont look stock or wore down a ton, I may need sway bar links (which is probably the reason I dont rub.) I am not sure if I have control arms but I will see if I need them after installing new shocks.

I wobble everywhere but I dont shake like the deathwobble, and steering seems straight and normal, no issues. I just feel every bump.

It is a dana 30 front and dana 44 rear. Differentials are in the middle right? I have no clue what those ares unless that is the 3:55 gears

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,878 Posts
3.55 is not a thing. 3.21, 3.73, 4.10 and up.

Check tire pressures is an easy place to start with wobble and feeling every bump. If you still have the old shocks in, that is part of the issue too. What tires are you running? I run BFG KO2 285/70/17 at 36psi with stock wheels unless I air down as my daily driver. When I have a trip to CO or NM I run Milestar Patagonia MT's 285/70/17 with AEV Saltas at 26psi off road and 34psi on the hwy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured 3.55 wasnt a thing when I couldnt find it. Tires are brand new so I would assume everything there is great. 315/75/16, not sure of PSI. The vehicle was still wobbly on crappy torn up almost bald falkins 285/75/16, I even let the air pressure out a little once I read they could be over inflated, still no change. I will know more next week after I put the shocks on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts