Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Recently I began my search for my first jeep wrangler. Yesterday I found a 2005 jeep wrangler with 109,000 miles for sale asking $5900 but it says salvage in the ad. Should I just avoid it and keep looking or does it just depend on how bad the damage is? Any suggestions and opinions are welcome. Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,384 Posts
I bought a salvage title Jeep after my previous TJ was stolen. The two biggest issues with a salvage title is your insurance company won't give you full insurance on it and its resale value will be way less. Your insurance company will be able to provide liability insurance but I doubt you'll be able to get much more than that.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
A few years ago there was a guy on here with a salvaged TJ and he went and bought a used hardtop for it....it didn't align with the windshield frame since the frame/tub was tweaked so bad.

It was a good reminder that Salvaged vehicles can have lots of issues, but many have been built into some killer wheelin' beasts.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I wouldn't shy away from a salvage jeep but I would follow Jerry's advice above. I have bought 2 or 3 salvage titled XJ's that were wrecked. Only reason I was willing to buy them is because I was able to assess the damage and see what needed to be fixed. The 2 I bought were both hit in the front and had minor cosmetic repairs (new fender, bumpers, grill and paint, no frame damage). I found it much better than buying a fixed one and guessing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
BEFORE you buy anything check to see what the salvage laws are there in your state. Here in Rhode Island only licensed "Salvage" repair facilities are allowed to repair a salvaged vehicle.

·
Registered
787 Posts
over the years we have owned several rebuilt vehicles. my wife drove a rebuilt ford explorer 10 years, then our daughter drove it another 2 before donating it to Salvation army. I drove a f150 for 6 years and wish I had it back. we actually purchased an 86 wrangler that was wrecked and had it rebuilt, we drove it several years.
We did purchase every vehicle from a rebuilder except the jeep. Never had any trouble with insurance here. My last rebuilt, 05 GMC Duramax, was vandalized and my insurance paid everything. I don't think buying salvage is a bad thing, if you go in with your eyes open and know the laws in your state. Ford even gave my wife a new set of tires, because her Explorer had the Firestone tires that were causing the roll overs. BTW the Explorer only had 11k on the meter when we got it. where we live, there are several rebuilders. they all tend to stay with one brand. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts