Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 JKUS, just installed the JW Speaker J's.

I'm going to take off the chrome rings that hold in the headlight and paint them black. While they are off, I intend on aligning the beams. I bought the OEM screws.
1) Do I have to completely remove the plastic housing to install the new screw?
2) Do I need to remove the screws from the back/inside, or do I use a Torx and remove from the front? (a video online is confusing)
3) Can the Torx adjustment screws be accessed for alignment once everything is put back together, (grill, rings, etc.) or do I need to do the alignment before putting it all back together?

Love the lights! Would highly recommend.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
1) Yes or you risk breaking it
2) from the back, it cant come out of the front
3) Yes, if you look at your grill you can see the indentation for access is already there.

·
Registered
623 Posts
1) Yes or you risk breaking it 2) from the back, it cant come out of the front 3) Yes, if you look at your grill you can see the indentation for access is already there.
The only caveat I'll add to #3 is you need an extended torx driver (if I remember correctly it's T15), and it cannot be one that take a torx bit bc there isn't too much room

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The only caveat I'll add to #3 is you need an extended torx driver (if I remember correctly it's T15), and it cannot be one that take a torx bit bc there isn't too much room
I wouldn't use a bit based system, get a T15 screwdriver thats what I use, which is the same thing you'd need for the up down adjustment that is there from the factory.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. #2 still is fuzzy to me; I can't see why you couldn't just back out the adjustment screws from the front with a Torx screwdriver, but I guess it will become apparent once I get in there. I assume that once I take off the plastic housing and then put it back in, the alignment will be crazy off until I adjust?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The screw you are replacing has a 15mm hex portion on the other side of the plastic ring that you cant see until you pull the headlight out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it last night. Not too bad. Thanks for all of the help. I actually installed 2 of the new OEM screws per side. The biggest PITA was getting the old ones out from the rear. All of the advice and instructions made sense once I got in there.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Are you saying that all of screws that hold the headlight ring on are adjustable now?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. There was one adjustable screw and 2 "dummy" screws. I replaced the 2 "dummy screws" with 2 new OEM adjustable ones. Now you can adjust all 3. Made aligning very easy. BTW, I have a 2015 JKUS. Others may be different.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The third dummy screw is meant to always be a dummy screw, its the pivot point for the other two screws. You should never need three adjusters, The lower ones are for left right and the upper ones are up down. They do that by making the headlight ring pivot around that third screw. The controlled height created by the dummy screw aids in aiming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts