Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just wanted to get some advice from you all or from anyone who can help

I just bought a Floor pan for the Drivers side of my 1991 Jeep YJ.

I wanted to know if any of you have had to install a new floor pan yourselves. And if so how did you attach it?

Did you have it Welded into place?

Did you use the autobody shop strong adhesive to attach or hold it into place.

Did you use the Metal screws and screw it into place?

Thanks for the advice in advance

Tripletdad

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
set it in place
marker around it
cut out the old with a cutting wheel
place the new and hold with vice grips or large magnets
spot weld in place
weld around the outer edge
grind welds
prime bare steel right away

thats the body shop way to do it... if you leave any rust in there anywhere it will still spread. If your up for a challenge, its not to expensive ($200 or so) to get a small 110v wire welder and they work great for small jobs like sheet metal.

If your looking for a cheaper alternative to get by, fiberglass over the rust holes until you can replace all the sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Weld it. Don't use screws. Id tig weld it if you have the chance if not mig weld it on a lower setting. Its easyer to burn threw thin metal with a mig with out proper work angle or settings.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
welding is the best but if you don't have access to a welder panel adhesive and pop rivets will work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I literally just finished this on my driver side. First off be ready to take a few days to get this done if youve never done it before it will take probably close to a week.
First you need to figure out how much you want to replace. I bought a full driver side floor pan from quadratec and then decided to do just a 3 inch square bigger then what was rusted through.
Second you need to grind both sides of replacement floor pan and top of old floor til its bare metal.
Thirdly you need to fit it as close as possible to old floor to make sure the welds hold on and dont become fragile or just burn through.
Fourth, weld it. I tig welded it all and to make it easier ob yourself do it in a cross pattern so do top bottom left right repeat until you have enough welds. You dont have to do this but when you weld each spot weld pulls the metal and i made this mistake so learn from my mistake and do it like a cross pattern.
Lastly youll want to try and waterproof all of the areas with bare metal and welds.
Oh and ps its alot easier with the seat removed.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Seam sealer any body shop supply house should have it. Welded is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This is one of those topics there should be a good "how to" on with good pics.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That would be great. Ill be replacing my driver side in the not too distant future also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts