Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and consider trading in my current set of wheels for a wrangler in the next few months. I was looking to gather as much information as possible before I approach a dealership so I can avoid weeks of a bottom level sales rep chasing me around. Currently I have a 2008 3series RWD which is eminently unpractical for my PNW life, but a slightly younger me thought it was the hottest S**T on four wheels. The repairs are costly and while fun to slide around in the snow, does not inspire any sort of confidence during the winter months. I'm getting fairly tired with the low return(fun) on investment(cost) of sporty cars in a place with bad roads and four seasons. My goals looking at new cars are that it must be more reliable than a used german with over 100,000m, it must be better in the snow, it must be able to tow a small trailer(jet skis or motorcycle), it must be able to fit myself comfortably (6'6"), it must be big enough to fit 4 people, and it must be at least moderately capable on dirt roads/gentle trails. I dont have any experience off-roading so I cant really say I NEED a hard core rock crawler or prerunner but id like to know I can leave the pavement without $600 in repairs and body damage. This led me to the wrangler as one of the best options given that I would like to lease something with Payments in the low $300/month optimally. However, I have never seen so many trim packages available on one car other than a 911 and I am a bit lost. I am also having trouble breaking down what is what in terms of performance capabilities. If I pick up a sport s and decide that offroading is really my cup of tea will I be finding it totally incapable of safely traversing anything but a dirt road?

I am hoping that you guys and gals can point me in the direction of some material that can clarify the trim packages better and advise which direction one should look in for my situation. Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think one difference in my year (2016) was the S came with 17" wheels instead of 16". I also got 3.7 gears but that wasn't a package, that was an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The Sport is incredibly capable out of the box. When I bought​ my JKU, I went into the dealership and asked for a printed brochure and it had a comparison of features on each model that I was able to go through and pick out exactly what I wanted and decide on a trim level. That info is also available in the web site, but is a bit less convenient IMHO. Go in , get the brochure, take the salesperson'm card, and refuse to give them your contact info. If they give you a hassle about it, it's a good sign that you should find another dealership.

·
Registered
500 Posts
With what it sounds like your off road intentions are, a JKU Sport S will far exceed your needs. Even if you do get into off roading on a more serious level, it's still capable and easily modified if you find any shortcomings. I recommend getting the 3.73 gears and the limited slip differential. Also, if you don't want to do your own shifting, the auto is very capable and many actually prefer it for off roading.

The Sahara is basically a cosmetic/creature comforts trim level. The Rubicon is superior off road, but it's going to cost you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My two cents. A sport, either base or sport s, will more than exceed the average person's pucker factor off road.

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Here's what I've learned with age:

ANYTHING is more reliable than a German car with 40,000+ miles --well, besides a British, Italian or French car.

ANYTHING is less expensive to own, maintain and repair than an out-of-warranty German car.

ANYTHING is more capable in the snow than a RWD German car.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Opt for the Max tow package on an sport and that will get you the 3.73 gears and the get the limited slip. The 3.73's are must if you upgrade to larger tires.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Opt for the Max tow package on an sport and that will get you the 3.73 gears and the limited slip. The 3.73's are must if you upgrade to larger tires.

Is this true that the max tow package comes with limited slip?

I have a 2015 with the max tow but not limited slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Is this true that the max tow package comes with limited slip?

I have a 2015 with the max tow but not limited slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am sorry. That is a typo. The Max tow does NOT include the limited slip. Thanks for catching that. I meant to say "and get the limited slip". I'll edit the post if I can.
JB

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info, I will keep doing research but I am getting a lot of clarification. So far I am thinking a JKU Sport S with:
LED Lighting Group
$595
Connectivity Group
$695
Max Trailer Tow Package
$845
Premium Sound and Leather
$2,000
Cold Weather Group
$995
Track Lok
$495
Dual Top Package
$2,185
Total cost
$40,000.

This is higher than I would probably like, I feel that the dual top package can get dropped but I feel that living in a winter climate I need the hard top. I also am not sure the leather and sound package is not necessarily a necessity so I can drop that. That brings the price down to:
$36,810
The options that I have included are really going to provide a vehicle that is solid offroad, on road, and in the snow. The questions I had were primarily rating to the tube side steps, swing gate reinforcement, and oversize spare carrier. I dont see that I really need these. I of course could just go into a dealership but again they have an incredible ability to track me down. What about thoughts on the the ergonomics and sound quality without the sound and leather? I know that leasing overall is a dumb financial decision but at this point the ability to just walk away in a couple of years is very appealing. I would love to just purchase one outright but at this time thats not in the cards given the fact that wranglers are unfamiliar with the concept of depreciation.

·
Registered
500 Posts
A couple of things to consider:

1) The side-impact airbags were a must-have for me. They're front seat only and don't offer head protection, but I'll take whatever added safety I can get.

2) Some people hate the factory LED's for winter driving. Apparently, they put off zero heat, so snow can build up in the housing during long drives. I live in Florida, so I'm just going by what other people have said.

3) If you don't mind cloth seats, you can get the upgraded sound system by itself for half the price. We have the leather, though, and it really is a nice touch. You can get either black or brown leather, depending on which of the packages you choose. The cloth seats are nice and comfortable, too, from what I could tell in our test drives.

4) These vehicles maintain their value better than just about anything on the road. If you bought, you could still sell a couple of years later and most likely not take a huge loss.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd think twice on the leather, unless you're just set on it. My "S" came with premium sound, but cloth seats. Of course I'm in a hot climate, where leather will burn your butt. You may be in a cooler climate.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lol. I went thru the BMW stage 15 yrs ago. POS was a maintenance nightmare and handled like $hit in the snow. Not that it was designed for snow, but never the less. I'll never buy another BMW. Over priced anyway for what you get. It's definitely not the ultimate driving machine. I'd have to say the Jeep is.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Great info, I will keep doing research but I am getting a lot of clarification. So far I am thinking a JKU Sport S with:
LED Lighting Group $595
Connectivity Group $695
Max Trailer Tow Package $845
Premium Sound and Leather $2,000
Cold Weather Group $995
Track Lok $495
Dual Top Package $2,185
Total cost
$40,000.

This is higher than I would probably like, I feel that the dual top package can get dropped but I feel that living in a winter climate I need the hard top. I also am not sure the leather and sound package is not necessarily a necessity so I can drop that. That brings the price down to:
$36,810
The options that I have included are really going to provide a vehicle that is solid offroad, on road, and in the snow. The questions I had were primarily rating to the tube side steps, swing gate reinforcement, and oversize spare carrier. I dont see that I really need these. I of course could just go into a dealership but again they have an incredible ability to track me down. What about thoughts on the the ergonomics and sound quality without the sound and leather? I know that leasing overall is a dumb financial decision but at this point the ability to just walk away in a couple of years is very appealing. I would love to just purchase one outright but at this time thats not in the cards given the fact that wranglers are unfamiliar with the concept of depreciation.
Hi OP just thought I'd pop in here and tout my thread that's sticky'ed at the top of the forum. There are many dealers who will match the group buy pricing available to us. To give you an idea, here's the before tax, tag, title pricing you should be looking at for the build you just stated:

Commodity -- MSRP -- Invoice
Base Vehicle -- 27895 -- 27412
Destination -- 1095 -- 1095
Sport S package (23S) -- 3200 -- 2848
LED Lighting -- 595 -- 530
Connectivity Group -- 770 -- 685
Max Tow Package -- 845 -- 752
Premium Sound & Leather -- 2000 -- 1780
Cold Weather Group -- 1395 -- 1242
Trac-Lock -- 495 -- 441
Dual Top Package -- 2185 -- 1945
Subtotal -- 40220 -- 38504

Take 6% off the invoice price for group buy, and your pre-TTL price is $36,193.76. Congrats, you just saved 10% off the MSRP. Not sure exactly where you're at, but your tax burden may be alleviated with the trade-in of the Bimmer, as some states only charge initial car tax on the balance after trade-in.

Best of luck!
O_E

Reactions: Heavy-Metal
1 - 15 of 15 Posts