Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from test driving a 2013 2 door Rubicon and I'm left with a couple questions.

I am more interested in a 4 door, but had to drive the 2 door because the only 4 door Rubicon they had was a standard trans. I have a bad knee that wont let me work the clutch much so have to stick to an auto :nonono: . Anyway, how much of a differance in turn radius and "stability" is there between the two. Mainly speaking about on highway. In the 2 door I felt like an avasive manuver would send me rolling. My old 06 didnt feel that bad but I guess the steering responce in the newer ones are more sensetive. So is there a big differance with the 4 doors?

Also, the thing was supprisingly air tight (hard top, full doors). I either had to slam the door or roll the window down to close the door all the way. Do the new Wranglers not have the vent in the tailgate?

One more thing, I thought the Rubicons had swaybar disconnects? Looking at the swaybar it looked like any old regular bolt on swaybar, is it an option that this Rubicon didnt have? The sales guy didnt even know what a swaybar was :banghead:

I was soooooo close to puting one on order, but I have some more research to do first. I made the mistake of rushing into the deal on my 06 and it didnt turn out good.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Rubis do have electronic sway bar disconnects. There is a motor located in the middle of the sway bar (behind the front bumper) that severs the sway bar in half when you push the button inside of the cabin.

4 doors are more stable, but you could pretty easily roll any wrangler at highway speeds. Your old TJ included.

They have a tailgate vent, but leaks are sometimes an issue so the new ones tend to be pretty tight.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I just got back from test driving a 2013 2 door Rubicon and I'm left with a couple questions.

I am more interested in a 4 door, but had to drive the 2 door because the only 4 door Rubicon they had was a standard trans. I have a bad knee that wont let me work the clutch much so have to stick to an auto :nonono: . Anyway, how much of a differance in turn radius and "stability" is there between the two. Mainly speaking about on highway. In the 2 door I felt like an avasive manuver would send me rolling. My old 06 didnt feel that bad but I guess the steering responce in the newer ones are more sensetive. So is there a big differance with the 4 doors?

The two door felt more bouncy because of the shorter wheel base. It's part of the jeep experience. That said the 4 door with it's longer wheel base will be less squishy on the road. Apples to Apples and once you start modding, all of that goes out the window anywho.

Also, the thing was supprisingly air tight (hard top, full doors). I either had to slam the door or roll the window down to close the door all the way. Do the new Wranglers not have the vent in the tailgate?

There are vents in the tail gate to allow air out but it is common that jeeps with a hard top have to slam the doors. That's a good sign of a hardtop that is air tight and will more than likely at least last a few weeks longer before leaking like all jeeps do.

One more thing, I thought the Rubicons had swaybar disconnects? Looking at the swaybar it looked like any old regular bolt on swaybar, is it an option that this Rubicon didnt have? The sales guy didnt even know what a swaybar was :banghead:

Rubicons have electronic sway bar discos. You disconnect them by pushing the button on the bottom of the dash. If you drove a rubi than it certainly had these.

I was soooooo close to puting one on order, but I have some more research to do first. I made the mistake of rushing into the deal on my 06 and it didnt turn out good.

Time is your friend and information even more so. Welcome to WF, take time to read and research before taking the jump. Once you do, its smiles 24/7.

Thanks for any info.
:thumb:

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you had a TJ and weren't worrying about Rollover then you certaintly shouldn't be worried in a JK and even less worried in a JKU. Safety Standards require these are improved upon on each generation.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My 4dr Rubi with hardtop has been holding up well...aside from some chips and scratches inflicted upon it. The door slamming bit is pretty usual, especially since the doors are low mass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info yall. I guess that would explain why I didnt see the swaybar disco! LOL I was looking at the end links for a pin or something. The sales guy let me take the test drive alone and I started pushing buttons, I wonder if I disconnected the swaybar in the early part of the testdrive (went to a open parking lot to see how it turned and drive over some speed bumps and all) before I hit the highway. I understand how Jeeps drive from my old TJ, but it felt more sloppy than what I was use to...maybe I did have it disconnected.

Over all I was real impressed with it and cant wait to test drive the 4 door Rubicon he has coming in next week. It seemed to be real 'busy' inside though with all the steeringwheel buttons, touch screen radio, buttons below the dash, ect....I'm not use to that much technology! I can see the window wiper/headlight sticks taking a little time to get use to. I do like how it rode though, much smoother than my TJ. I think the tires would have to go right away though, they look too skinny for it, it was just begging for a wider stance.

Thanks again for the tips. I have some more reading/researching to do, but I'm pretty sure next week after I drive the 4door I'll be putting a JKU Rubicon on order!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 4dr Rubi with hardtop has been holding up well...aside from some chips and scratches inflicted upon it. The door slamming bit is pretty usual, especially since the doors are low mass.

I dig that Buffalo pic. We've got a few of those and some Huskys.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The newer JKs are drive by wire. The Rubicons will not release the swaybar or lock the lockers except in 4Lo and below 18 MPH. Everything flashes and tries to re-connect/disengage above that. The ARM and ESP will keep you grounded when turning at speed. Next time to drive one, safely try your evasive manuver and watch the JK deny you. You cannot even get it to do donuts.

They seal up tight for quite a while. Our '11 JKUR still needs the doors slam with the hard top installed. Same for the missus '09 JK 2DR. I like it that way myself. The JK is wider and longer than a TJ. The other great thing about it.

Welcome to the JK forum and let's go wheelin'.

Bob K.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Rubicon does/did feel incredibly "loose" "mushy" at first. It's the newness of the tires (rounded) once worn in a bit (squared), the thing feels tight and normal driving, but brand new off the bat, it does feel surprisingly loose and all of the place when first driving it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts