Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly stock Jeep and am considering hitting the trails soon after I get my tires put on. I know there are skid plates and what not, but what are some great things to help protect my jeep? especially the important parts.

Also, i'm planning on getting lockers and a winch sometime in the future, is there anything else that would be beneficial?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Belly armor is what protects the underneath. Aside from belly armor, rock sliders. Recovery gear (ie straps etc). What size tires are you getting? If 35s or larger, axle truss and C gussets. Be careful when choosing lockers - your rear is fine, but you may want to go with a different type of locker on the front D30.

Get a CB radio.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the 07's had neither? I don't know much about my jeep yet but would it help just to get the front ones? and why not the back?
and i was thinking 35's and getting mickey thompson baja mtz or duratracs. any suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had mucked Thompson mtr Baja claws both in 35x12.5 16 the mtr lasted about 35k miles on a 95 z71 and the Baja claws I got 44k miles on a 02 2500 HD currently on my jeep I'm running nitto mud grapplers have about 5k miles on them have rotated them twice and at 18/32 of tread tread left will prolly get over 50k out of the set. Probably most mud terrains on a 2 dr jeep will bring 45+ k miles on a set if rotated very 3k miles. Except for super swamper boggers had a set on 40s on a 92 yj got 23k miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you recommend for great traction and tread in mud and snow for 35's that would last up to 30 or 40 miles?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
I thought the 07's had neither? I don't know much about my jeep yet but would it help just to get the front ones? and why not the back?
and i was thinking 35's and getting mickey thompson baja mtz or duratracs. any suggestions?
The Sahara (that is what your profile says unless I clicked on the wrong one) does not have lockers - Rubicon does. Your rear axle I think on an 07 should be a 44 (tho I seem to recall maybe some 07s had smaller rear axles - wait for someone who knows that year). The front axle is not as strong as the rear, it is also your steering axle - and lockers put out a lot of force. (Even Rubicons will not allow you to engage front locker alone.) There are different types of lockers tho that you could run in front - I am not an expert tho.

With the 3.8 engine, you will surely want to regear before thinking about 35s.

Your stock Jeep does have some skids on it, not really beefy, but you have them.

Lots of folks here like Duratracs, especially if you do a lot of street driving or the rig is your DD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do you mean regear? what would you recommend i put on it? and yea that's the right jeep

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Baja claws are great lateral traction with any directional tire is not the best that's the only downside if there 16 or 17 wheel I would run Baja claw if not cooper stt or a toyo mt makes a great all around mt that wears well little road noise. Toyo usually hold up better than stt but usually run around 14-1500 a set around mobile al

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm definitely looking into baja mtz's, should i go 35's? and what would should i do or need to do to my jeep for that

·
Registered
400 Posts
Best advice - learn how to drive off road. Even a stock Jeep will conquer a lot. Learn how to crawl it and pick the right lines. All the armour in the world won't help you if you don't know how to drive it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a pretty good off-roader if i say so myself, I would just hate to be out somewhere and have something break

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm definitely looking into baja mtz's, should i go 35's? and what would should i do or need to do to my jeep for that

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Your gearing now is either 3.21 or 3.73. To be able to keep power needed to turn those bigger tires and keep your engine and transmission happy, read this chart. For a rig that is a daily driver and not hard core offroad stuff, you would probably be ok in the green range.

For the rest of your questions, read here for a good start:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/newbys-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

That said tho, you can build a rig with 33s and a small lift/puck boost that would be better as a daily driver, can still get you through trails most folks would pucker on, not as expensive to do, not as much heartburn to your drivetrain and suspension, wont tank your gas mileage as much as 35s, and with a light enough tire, you could still probably use your stock tire carrier. You would still probably want to address gearing tho as the 3.8 is a dog.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Puck boost=rubber things that look like hockey pucks and sit on the springs to add height. Easy to install, low maintenance, not as fussy as lifts where you get into replacing springs and control arms and track bars etc. And always easy to undo if you later decide maybe you want to go a different route or a spring lift.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Probably not a truss unless you plan to really beat on it, but the stock Cs are supposedly weak so they definitely wouldnt hurt. I wouldnt say absolutely required for 33s, but if you want a little piece of mind. On 35s for sure.

I also think a truss requires a certain lift height to clear everything - could be wrong but I seem to recall seeing that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
any advice on what else I should do or get? and would a suspension lift + a body lift look stupid with 33's

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would do a teraflex leveling kit with 33 that gives plenty of room for flex and personally u need atleast 4.10 with 35s I have 3 73 with 35 now and I need lower gears.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts