Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I removed the front two doors. Wasn't difficult at all, not that I expected it to be. I happen to have someone here when I was putting them back on and it was appreciated. They are kinda hard to line up the pins alone. :(

Anyway, I was looking around online this evening for tips on how to replace the doors alone and I happen to run across an article saying when you remove the doors, the dome light will stay on and you need to pull a fuse to get them to go off. :confused:

I'll admit, I was alone most of the time but I never noticed a dome light being on. Is this accurate?
If so, does everyone here pull a fuse or is there some other way to do it.

I did notice the radio stayed on for several minutes but it was always off when I went back to the Jeep.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What year is your jeep? I just removed the doors for the first time (2014 jku) to put on some trail doors and did not have an issue. I believe the radio stays on as long as you have it set for the exterior lights to turn off after you take the key out. Mine is set to 30 seconds i believe.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You mean you didn't have an issue with the dome light? Or putting them back on? Or either?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts

You mean you didn't have an issue with the dome light? Or putting them back on? Or either?
The article you probably read concerning the fuse was for a TJ. The JK has a connector that you disconnect when you remove the doors that controls the dome light

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Door Removal Protocol:

► Remove hinge pin retaining caps with Torx Bit.
► Locate electrical connection terminal inside the jeep towards foot board
► Remove red safety tab/pin
► Save red safety tap/pin in plastic bag with the retaining caps
► Disconnect the male & female terminals
► Unhook the nylon retaining strap
► Adhere or affix the dangling electrical connection/plug to the Inner Door hook with ziptie
► Reach from the outside of the door, grabbing the door's armrest
► Open door to a angle approx 45°
► Lift up while holding the armrest with one hand and supporting the door's upper window edge.

Important: If Door does not budge, try another angle of about 50°
Once the door has been removed, clean & grease hinge pin holes.

Note: Once the male and female connection has been disconnected, The Jeep's system will become aware of this and shut the dome light off after approx 30 secs. There isn't any spring mechanism or attachment to disable the system, because the system was set up to auto detect when the cables have been disconnected as this was setup by the factory.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Didn't have a problem with either but i can see how lining them up could be an issue. Once you disconnect the wiring harnesses from the doors I believe the jeep them knows the doors are off so the dome lights don't come on. To resolve the radio issue change your accessory timer via the steering wheel buttons to a time that will work for you.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Didn't know the connector or whatever knows what to do when it doesn't sense the doors. Thanks.

The radio being on for a few minutes isn't an issue in and of itself. Not to me anyway. As long as it turns off in a few minutes, I'm OK with it.

I'll have to practice getting them on by myself. The weight isn't really an issue except from where I stood I couldn't even see the top pins, just the bottom. But it was my first time.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
.. from where I stood I couldn't even see the top pins, just the bottom. But it was my first time.
The upper and lower door hinge pins would be in the same location.. under each hinge, the correct torx bit (The actual size scapes me) on a ratchet should do the trick. One should have 4 retaining caps (2 door) and 8 retaining caps (4 door) keep these caps handy and close. However if the doors had been remove by the previous owner.. they may or may not have replaced the hinge retaining caps, so you be short one, two or more.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll second these. Though I found them even cheaper on EBay. Took a couple of weeks to arrive though. I'll see of I can find the listing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yeah if you look around you can find em cheaper, or in smaller packs, I wanted some extras for other things to mount to door hinges (mirrors, foot pegs) so that's what I ordered.

·
Registered
360 Posts
^ +1 for the carry panel. Makes handling & guiding the doors a snap. Feels like mine are full of lead sometimes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It also gets easier the more you do it. You may want to try it a few more times before buying anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
OP, if you are having a hard time lining up the hinges, the door pins or something similar are a "must have". I've heard you can use an old ballpoint pen case too.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I use the American Outlaw guides as well for re-installation on my own, and I feel like they're worth their weight in gold (though I didn't know about the coupler nut solution). I leave them on all the time.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
also having issues with my 2007 2 door Sahara the dome light staying on when the doors are off.
anyone have a solution to this problem?
thanks
No idea on the 07. Back in the TJ days there was a fuse you could just pull when doorless. Perhaps yours is like that since it's an early run model?

Even if not and that's not the intent by Jeep, just pull the dome light fuse if that's your only doorless issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts