Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I buy this TJ with 35" Nitto MT. After a week, I decided that they are too radical for a daily commuter, so I put them up for a swap on Craigslist. Found someone interested in swapping, and we swapped. Anyway, my jeep has 2 Skyjacker SS mounted. With the 35" tires, it drove straight and steady. Now with the 33"s, going down the highway, it feels like the front end is surfing side to side. Not radical, but just a slow side to side motion. Could having the dual SS on be causing this problem? With smaller tires, do I even need both SS?

Attachments

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
There is a problem if you need two stabilizers. Would that possibly cause the wandering. Most likely not, but worn out parts would. The two stabilizers also may be masking death wobble.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've heard that having two stabilizers is actually bad, it causes too much stress for your power steering. It may have had such bad steering components, that it required 2 stabilizers to control it. Or the previous owner may have just thought it looked cool, and in turned messed up the power steering mechanism. Welcome to the jeep world, you've found your first unique issue, learn to love it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will pull the lower one off and see how it drives. Hopefully he did it for cool factor and not for crappy steering problems.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
This is just a guess, but dual stabilizers might be working against the smaller tires and overcorrecting. I replaced my stock steering stabilizer with an Old Man Emu steering stabilizer, as recommended by my mechanic (after making sure there were no actual problems down there).

I second JES98TJ's suggestion: take off the lower stabilizer. You may want to pop off both and see how the steering feels. If it's still "off," take it in and get it checked out. Some folks use stabilizers to bandage bigger problems.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,407 Posts
Dual stabilizers are a bad idea on TJs, remove the second one. Not to mention dual stabilizers force the power steering system to have to work harder to overcome the added resistance of the second stabilizer. On a hot day on a tight-twisty offroad trail, that added resistance from the second unit could be enough to cause the power steering system to overheat.

Not to mention they are more correctly described as steering dampers. Their primary job is to absorb shock to isolate and protect the steering system components from bumps & dips on the road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I removed the lower dampener and took it out on the highway. Drove pretty straight, no wobble or side to side surfing. Think it might need an alignment, but drove pretty smooth. Wasn't as windy tonight, so will see what happens the next few days, supposed to be windy. Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts