Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I havn't posted or been on this forum in a while because I bought a car about a year ago, and didn't drive my YJ as much, however I recently traded my car in for a 2008 JKU. I've always had a soft top on my YJ, because I love taking the top off and driving topless/doorless. My JK had a hard top when I purchased it and while I like the hardtop for winter, now that it's getting nice I want to purchase a soft top for it. I figure the Trektop NX would be my best bet because I have no hardware, and I like the look of it. however I have some concerns because I have read online that you can not fold the top all the way back and heard it is a pain to take all the way off, while I like the sunrider option, I can do that with my hardtop by removing the 2 panels and not worry about the noise factor. So can anyone with a trektop nx clear some things up for me, give me some pro's and cons on this top? thanks in advance. And it's great to be back in the jeep community everyday again :)

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the Trextop NX & while I really do like it, you are right.....it can't be folded back & if you are out driving around & want to take it off, it would be really hard to fit it into the back of the Jeep (not saying it couldn't be done, it would just take up a lot of room & I'm not even sure if it would fit back there). The features I love about the NX is the sunrider, being able to remove the windows & use it as a bikini top & the overall looks of it being a fastback top. You just have to weigh the pros & cons with any top. I actually sold my hard top a few weeks ago & the NX is the only top I currently have, although I would love to find an OEM Premium soft top, but I haven't had any luck :(

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lol.. it's pretty easy but difficult to explain without pictures. Unhook the straps that hold the bar in at the hinge point. The hinge point has spring loaded retainers, release those and the entire top will fold back. You will need to remove the bar from the top but it will easily fit in the back.
I have driven at highway speeds with no problems other than losing visibility in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can you post some pictures when you get a chance? I am having a hard time picturing it. When you say remove the bar from the top, are you referring to the one that goes overtop the drivers & passenger seats? I don't even have that one on mine right now as I don't like it there when I have it in sunrider mode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No, I don't use the aluminum bows as I have found them to be not necessary. I'm referring to the round bar that slips into a pocket on the top to hold it in place. It's right at the hinge point. The pocket runs the width of the top and is attached to the sound bar where you screw in the knows to lock in the freedom top panels.
I will try to get some pics tomorrow to more clearly show how it's done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can show pictures so I can get an idea of what I'm getting into that would be great. really want to order this top soon. thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry it rotated the pics, just tilt your head to the left... lol
ForumRunner_20140518_134742.jpg
Spring loaded retainers.

ForumRunner_20140518_134823.jpg
Unhook the straps that holds the top down at the pivot point

ForumRunner_20140518_134903.jpg
Remove the round bar, fold the top back and enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope I am not hijacking this post....I am thinking about getting a Trektop NX as well. I love the fastback look as well as being able to have a bikini top and sunrider option. My question is: Are there straps that go from the back of the top to the back tailgate? I love the look but think that the straps make it not a clean look. If I have to get the twill to not have the straps, I am okay with that. I just want to have that clean bikini look. I am also thinking about a tonno cover while I run bikini top, doors off for the summer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There are straps on the back of the trektop nx. I have it on my to door JK, and there is a canvas strap that goes from the top back corner and hooks to the body on the left and right of the tailgate. However I never notice them when I am in bikini mode.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry it rotated the pics, just tilt your head to the left... lol
View attachment 1113418
Spring loaded retainers.

View attachment 1113426
Unhook the straps that holds the top down at the pivot point

View attachment 1113434
Remove the round bar, fold the top back and enjoy.
Thanks for the pics, AMilton. Mine doesn't have that bar that you posted....how long have you had your Trextop NX? Or maybe it just comes with the 4 door models? How does the top stay put that way? Do you strap it down or anything? I assume you probably can't drive it on the highway like that, can you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the pics, AMilton. Mine doesn't have that bar that you posted....how long have you had your Trextop NX? Or maybe it just comes with the 4 door models? How does the top stay put that way? Do you strap it down or anything? I assume you probably can't drive it on the highway like that, can you?
I've had my top for about 1 year. I'm not sure if the 2 door has that bar or not. Driving short trips and on the trails I have had no problems with the top folded all the way back. If I were going on a long trip with it back I would probably find a way to secure it down. I have had it up to 50 mph without it flapping, I don't know if it would flap at a higher speed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
With the NX top does the cargo lose much useable space? My black lab rides back there and I'm worried it will crowd her too much.

·
Commercial Member
830 Posts
With the NX top does the cargo lose much useable space? My black lab rides back there and I'm worried it will crowd her too much.
The dog probably won't like it with the fast back....also, it is a bit of a pain when accessing the back through the tail gate because you have to unzip the window to load anything of significance.

I wish that there was a way to hold the rear window rolled up on the trek top.

Doc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts