Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new here and just bought a 2 Door Wrangler Sport JK.
It comes with Barbie Jeep tires and I would like to step things up a big, but I have some questions first.

The rims that come with it are 16" rims, but I was thinking of scoring a set of the 17" rims and throwing on some BFG All terrains. I know I can get the 17" OEM rims usually pretty cheap on kijiji.
With the new rims and tires the diameter would go up to 33"
Is this possible with out lift or cutting anything out?

I also want to keep everything else stock for now since I need to spend a little bit at a time. I just really want to replace the crappy road tires with something better, and then get a hard top first before anything else.

Also if you change to 33" tires do you need to do anything so that the speedometer still works properly?

I also have seen some people adding bigger tires on the 16" steal rims.
What would the advantage of having the 17" Alloy rims be?

Sorry if the questions are all really basic, but I have never had a jeep before.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Going with a set of Rubi 17" take off is a good way to go. Any time you change the tire diameter you will need to reprogram the PCU. It will impact your speedo, odo, shift points, etc You can get a low end programmer to do this that will be able to set/reset several other features.

Regardin rim size, there is really no benefit of going from 16" to 17" rims other than Rubi's come with 17s so the take offs are available in that size. Both are a good size for JKs. There are plenty of rim and tire options in these sizes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts