Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a hardtop on my Jeep. It's the only top I have, but I want to enjoy the open air more than I already do. Here's my dilemma, I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert and it's TOO HOT to take the hardtop off during the day, but it gets really pleasant during the evenings. So I've decided to buy a bikini top to help alleviate some of the sun exposure during the day. I know I'll have to buy the windshield channel along with the bikini top, but here's my question. Will I have to remove the channel every time I want to replace the hardtop? It never rains here at Fort Irwin, so I don't have a problem leaving the hardtop off for the rest of the summer, but I do take extended road trips where a hardtop comes in REAL handy. Plus I'm spoiled with the ice-cold air conditioning!! Sorry if I'm rambling, just curious whether or not I need to remove the windshield channel every time I want to install the hardtop.
Thanks!!
Jordan

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Yes, you'll need to remove the windshield channel before you install your hard top.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the answer. I was hoping to not have to, but having the bikini will offset the hassle of removing the channel every time I replace the hardtop.
Thanks, Scout!!
Jordan

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
If you do the BesTop no drill windshield chanel I think it's only two bolts. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to take it off and put it on.

Glad I could help! :D

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
if you live in the hot mojave desert i wouldn´t do it in that way.
taking off the HT and taking on the bikini T will make you swaet very much. you´ll need more than 5 minutes shower after that. it doesn´t take only a few minutes.

i would buy a complete softtop. taking off the windows only takes 1-2 minutes. on that way you have fresh air and sun protection.
okay it doesn´t look as good as a bikini top. but let me tell you about my bikini top...
i bought it last summer when my TJK was new because i wanted to drive without beeing burned by the sun.
but taking the ST off and installing the bikini took such a long time and makes m e that much sweat before work that i only used it 4-5 times. this year i oinly drive with opened top when the weather is ok for that. the other time i use the AC.

btw. if you only drive inside cities with speeds below about 40 mph you can install the bikini top belwo the softtop (if you have a sunrider top).

:wavey:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes thats what I have and it takes just a minute to remove. You might want to consider a safari top or a combo Rampage like I have it gives more shade. It gets hot here in So. Oregon also and I really like my combo.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Just a question, I have the drill type header channel, and it stays on year round (but I only have the soft top). Is this a better option than the no-drill? (For hardtop owners). And yes, though it doesn't get quite as hot here, the bikini or safari makes 100+ degree day driving comfortable. (we rarely get over 110 here)

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you do the BesTop no drill windshield chanel I think it's only two bolts. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to take it off and put it on.

Glad I could help! :D
I'll definately go with the no-drill channel since it seems like it'll be easier.....once again, thanks Scout!!

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a side note.......Sidedrifter your Jeep looks great! I looked for a yellow one, but couldn't find any around here that had the 4.0 :)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I dont have a bikini, and have 0 personal experience with the headers, but I have been told by more than one person that the drill in style is much easier to install by yourself, compared the no-drill style.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I dont have a bikini, and have 0 personal experience with the headers, but I have been told by more than one person that the drill in style is much easier to install by yourself, compared the no-drill style.
How can drilling a bunch of holes in your windshield frame, be easier than tightening up two bolts. I do the later by myself, all the time. The only other suggestion I would have with the bikini top, is to get the door surrounds, that will pull the bikini tight, and not drop water on your lap, when it rains.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On a side note.......Sidedrifter your Jeep looks great! I looked for a yellow one, but couldn't find any around here that had the 4.0 :)
Thanks I am just getting started on it . It will be a long project. But it will stay a daily driver, It will just be very capable.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts