Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey WF~

So I've been trying to fix up my YJ and I've run into a few questions along the way. I bought my jeep from this guy who sprayed painted all the interior plastics black and now its starting to chip away in some spots that are more vulnerable to wear and tear then others like the arm rest on the half door.

So I want to touch up the interior by repainting all the plastics. I've heard that Krylon Fusion Spray Paint doesn't require priming or sanding but I don't know if the already chipping paint will effect the new coat. Should I sand down the doors and the front dash before spray painting it black again? If so, what sand paper grit should I use and is Krylon Fusion spray paint a good can to go with? Is there anything else to do to finish priming?

My next question is very similar to the first, but it involves the metal railing system for my soft top and other metal accessories around the jeep like the hood hold downs, mirror brackets, and the plastic flares. Should these also be sanded and primed before applying a new coat of black spray paint? What type of spray paint should I use for metal? is the Kyrlon Fusion Spray a good choice?

I also was interested in fixing some damages done to the paint job over the years. The hood has some sun damage it looks like and I would like to get rid of those. What are the procedures for fixing sun damaged spots and other cracks in the paint job?

My last question involves the rims I have. I was interested in painting them another color to clean them up a bit, but I was uncertain on how to go about doing that without getting them professional powder coated. Does anyone have any experience or tips on re painting rims black or another color? Preferably without taking the tires off the rim too. :D

I know its a lot of questions and even basic to some, but I would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions! :punk:

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
CaseAce, Sorry to be the one to tell you, but yes you need to sand all the vinyl prior to repainting. Paint prep and paint choice is the key for a successful job. I personally just finished my interior from grey to black. I cleaned them with a good degreaser, sand all surfaces with a 220 grit sand paper and I found some foam blocks with sanding grit made into them. They are easier to use and the sharp corners allow you to get into the corners. Make sure you get all that loose paint off. wipe them down with tack cloth. Some people will recommend a plastic adhesion promoter, but I went to my parts store(car quest) and they have (plasticote Vinyl paint w/ promoter in the paint). about $6.00/can. Plan on using 5 cans if your doing all of the interior and dash. The key to making them look factory is very light coats. Just mist them. I put up to 5 coats on mine. it will seem like it will take forever, but the results will be worth it.
As for the clearcoat damage, you can sand the entire hood with 400 grit making sure to get around the edges of the damage areas. do not sand through the actual green base coat. Talk to a local body shop, make arrangements for them to respray clearcoat. most will do it for under $100.
On the hardware and mirrors, I used Rustoleum textured paint after sanding and priming. That is a flat black. You may want to use a gloss or satin depends on the look you after.
There is a thread here on the forum for painting wheels with the spray bedliner. They look nice. I took the high road and bead blasted the wheels and powder coated. Was it worth it? Time will tell. Hope this helps. Spend some time on her and she will cleanup and you will be glad you took the time to do it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I didnt read everything but krylon fusion I used to paint a plastic table and the results were very less than impressive

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When painting anything prep work is KEY. Without proper prep anything you do will go to crap in a short while. drew11 posted some good info to follow. I used Krylon fusion on my headlights of my 05f-150 and was very impressed with the results. I did sand them with 220grit wet before starting and cleaned them up with acetone to make sure there was good adhesion. Again, PREPARATION is KEY!!!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
On the hood hardware, I cleaned, primed and used automotive black and then a clear coat. I got some automotive paint from a local paint shop the same color as my jeep, it also came mixed with the clear coat.....I did some touch up with it and then buffed..came out pretty good...again the secret is clean, sand etc.
you'll probably find if you sand your dash, the the original color brown was painted on too...at least that's what they do on most cars/trucks

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have personally used the vinyl paint from the auto parts store and it worked perfectly, but the prep work is important. Take your time, and you will be very pleased with how it turns out. You may want to look at a krylon clear coat in maybe a satin finish so that it isn't so glossy. I use it and it helps to keep muddy water from leaving spots on it after it dries.

Just remember to take your time and do it right the first time. You don't want to have to do it over again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips and advice everyone, going down and picking up some stuff today to start working on her. I'll post pics as I go through the steps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts