Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been reading on this forum for years now, but finally decided to sign up and join.

I will try to keep this short, I have previously had a JK, a 2013 JK 2 door with MT, but it was bone stock when I bought it and I never upgraded anything outside of minor cosmetics.

I like to think I have a decent baseline understanding of Jeep modifications, such as lifts, tires, etc. However, I just bought a 2015 JKU that has been pretty heavily modified by the previous owner and I was wondering if you all could help me figure out what all they have done.

I know it has been lifted, they have changed the fenders, changed the wheels, and added 315/70/17s.

My questions then are:
1- how do I accurately measure the lift height? One reason being I would just like to know what size lift it has, and two because I may order new shocks, which requires knowing the right lift height.

2- Is there any way to easily tell if they have messed with the gear ratio at all? I know there is a website that you can plug the Vin in and get the stock gear ratio, but I believe the previous owner has changed the stock gear ratio.Is this something that would require a lot of disassembly/mechanical know how to find out?

You may be wondering why I didn't find all this out before I bought it, well the truth is the dealer did not have any clue and the price (given the year and mileage) was just too good for me to pass up. I knew just by looking at the aftermarket poison spyder front and rear bumpers and the DV8 fender flares that the previous owner had already dropped some coin on this Jeep.

Thanks in advance for the help and I hope I put this in the right area.

·
Administrator
16,991 Posts
Glad to have you here!
Welcome to Wrangler Forum :welcome: :wavey:

Advertised lift heights are usually a combination of front height and rear height. So a 2.5" lift might raise the front 3 inches and the rear 2 inches, an average of 2.5" total. Just measure your Jeep and compare it to the pic below for an approximate lift height.

As far as gears, raise the back end and rotate the tire one full rotation while counting how many times the drive shaft rotates. See video below for more detail.

https://youtu.be/CuxBOstejl0?t=77

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Here is a link to a thread with info on measuring both the front and rear suspension to see where it is compared to stock.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/how-to-measure-jk-lift-height-2049729.html
I found it easy to measure the gear ratio by taping a piece of string to the drive shaft and marking one tire at a given point (say at the top). Then rotate the tire by rolling the Jeep forward until the mark marks a full rotation. Then see how many times the string wrapped around the drive shaft. It will either be just over three times, nearly four times, or just over four times, if it is one of the stock ratio options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts