Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought a 2017 JKU Big Bear edition back in Sept. of this year. Am really liking the Jeep but am already thinking of changing some stuff, namely the stock stereo system. Any suspension and tire changes will need to wait until the factory 265/70/17's wear down a bit more.

My original plan was to wait until Spring 2020 to change the sound system but the Black Friday deal at Crutchfield got me!! Have 2 pair of Infinity speakers on the way (Infinity Reference 6532ex and 6532ix) along with a Kenwood head unit.

When installing the speakers I would like to try to improve the speaker cavities and boxes by adding Polyfill and also adding an adhesive sound deadener.

Have been trying to do some research on the adhesive sound deadener but need some help. This will be my first time in using either Polyfill or sound deadener for a speaker upgrade.

- What thickness should I be looking for (was thinking either 1/4" or 3/8")??

- Any lower cost alternatives to products such as GTMat, Dynamat, etc.??

- Amount needed in square feet?? Am thinking 5-6 sq. ft.??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I have a jk big bear and also redid the stereo before I did anything else. For sound deadening I used noico 80mil. Did the floor, wheel wells, firewall, Tuffy security enclosure lid, front speaker pods and the soundbar. I also added polyfill in the speaker pods and sound bar. I bought 36sqft and have enough to do the doors if I ever get bored and motivated at the same time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
asphalt/rubber smell??

I have a jk big bear and also redid the stereo before I did anything else. For sound deadening I used noico 80mil.
Was just reading some reviews of the Noico 80 mil and it looks good. Reviewers did mention an asphalt or rubber smell from the product. Have you noticed any such smells with your installation??

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Was just reading some reviews of the Noico 80 mil and it looks good. Reviewers did mention an asphalt or rubber smell from the product. Have you noticed any such smells with your installation??
Not that I remember, definitely nothing now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts