Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As i was refilling the resevoir today before heading to work, I did noticed something. On the back of the resevoir you see that a hose is plugged to the lower opening of the resevoir. But i noticed another openning with out anything plugged in. Is that normal? I am referring on the back of the tank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Yes it's normal. That's the overflow. When your coolant is cold it should be no more than 3" above the "MIN" line. If you overfill it, it will spill out when hot.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,002 Posts
The extra pipe in the overflow bottle, with no hose attached, is to re-leave any pressure from the radiator as is spills over coolant into the overflow bottle when hot. If your overflow bottle is over filled, then it will push the excessive amount out the overflow pipe.
It also has a second purpose, and that is to allow air into the bottle, so that the coolant can be drawn back into the radiator, as the system is cooling down.

So yes, what you have seen is normal, and the way it should be.

The concern that I see here is, once that the coolant level is established, then there should not be a need to add any additional, unless you have air in your system, that is bleeding out, or you have a leak.....:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts