Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stuck on some LT285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers recently on a JKU Recon with stock 3.73 gears. The Nitto site is showing 32.76" for diameter, and about 58 lbs per tire. Actual diameter is coming to about 31.75" with the weight on them.

Anyways, the current 3.73 gears struggle a tad on my hilly area of Pennsylvania with the new tires. I will switch to 35 tires some day, most likely in 2-3 years away though.

I was wondering if 4.56 gears would be too much during the 2-3 year wait. Most of my driving is back roads, 30-50 MPH. Some light highway driving at 65 MPH. 80% on road daily driver, 20% off road.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You will be fine!
I had 33” Mickey Thompson MTZ for a year with 4.56 before going to 35” tires. I preferred the 33 with 4.56 gears.
I knew I was going to 35 when I had gears installed. To be honest I wish I went 4.88 gears for the 35” tires. I have the 3.6 motor too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
For what it's worth, I think you'll be fine too. I have a 2-door, but run 4.56 with that size tire (mine comes out to just over 31" actual height). I could've probably gone a little higher for highway driving since my Jeep is also my DD, but overall am very happy with the choice. I turn about 3K RPM on the freeway at about 70 MPH but that's about as fast as I really care to go in Jeep. I struggled on hills before the re-gear as well. No problems since. In fact, I often use 2nd to start on flat or downhill surfaces.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will be fine!
I had 33” Mickey Thompson MTZ for a year with 4.56 before going to 35” tires. I preferred the 33 with 4.56 gears.
I knew I was going to 35 when I had gears installed. To be honest I wish I went 4.88 gears for the 35” tires. I have the 3.6 motor too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear! Ya the gear charts always made me wonder what one considers "performance". Hopefully I stay happy with 4.56 with automatic.

For what it's worth, I think you'll be fine too. I have a 2-door, but run 4.56 with that size tire (mine comes out to just over 31" actual height). I could've probably gone a little higher for highway driving since my Jeep is also my DD, but overall am very happy with the choice. I turn about 3K RPM on the freeway at about 70 MPH but that's about as fast as I really care to go in Jeep. I struggled on hills before the re-gear as well. No problems since. In fact, I often use 2nd to start on flat or downhill surfaces.

Doesn't sound bad then, rarely over 65 myself. The hills have been what getting to me, can put the pedal all the way down and struggle on them at times haha

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I ran 33's with 4.56 gears for 2 years, I never had a regret on that. It was around 3200 RPM on BFG KO2's at 70 MPH. I then ran 35's for a year and now I'm going 37's. I believe I'll be ok but had I ever thought that I would go to 37's, I would have done 4.88's.

12 JK with a NAG1.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going with the 4.56, got it set up to have them changed at the start of December. Thanks for the help. I'll try to post back my own experience and RPM in case it helps future searchers :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts