Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, First post....So I ended up buying my father in laws toy, a 2001 rubicon with 28k miles.. Question is, There is a lot done to it but he dosent remember what he did.. He says he built the axles and gears ect... I can tell it has a long arm kit on it... Is there a way to tell if it has Dana 44s or what on it?

Thank you for any help!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
take some pics of the axles (from front and back), and of the control arms from the side and post them up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You're sure it's an 01? They didn't start making the rubicon until 03. If it is a rubicon it comes stock with Dana 44's.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hey all, First post....So I ended up buying my father in laws toy, a 2001 rubicon with 28k miles.. Question is, There is a lot done to it but he dosent remember what he did.. He says he built the axles and gears ect... I can tell it has a long arm kit on it... Is there a way to tell if it has Dana 44s or what on it?

Thank you for any help!
It's a Rubicon. Yes it has Dana 44 front and rear with lockers. Unless he swapped them out and I seriously doubt anyone forgets doing that wallet pain.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Most likely also has limited slip in the rear, in addition to the selectable lockers it has at both ends, a 4:1 transfer case, 4.10:1 final gearing unless he changed that, and disc brakes all around. Probably no ABS. But looks like Rubicon Express grey springs. Who knows what else he might have done?

·
Registered
788 Posts
He said gears.. He thinks 4.66.. Would those be fine for 37s? He has 35s on it now but they look so small on it..
Depends on what your looking to do with it. Their most likely 4.56 or 4.88. If their the 4.88 that is a nice middle of the road size for a 37, not too much power but will do the trick. If their 4.56s 37 would be under powered

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Depends on what your looking to do with it. Their most likely 4.56 or 4.88. If their the 4.88 that is a nice middle of the road size for a 37, not too much power but will do the trick. If their 4.56s 37 would be under powered
Yes. Do your homework on the 37s. On a TJ, there's a lot that has to be done for those to fit. 35's will fit with a 4" or above lift, or a combination of suspension and body lift that exceeds 4" or so, with the right bump stops. Depending upon the lift he put on it, he may also have a SYE and/or double cardan rear drive shaft, motor mount lift, body lift, etc. 37's likely need another inch at least, flat or highline fenders, maybe some attention to wheel backspacing, bump stops, and possibly steering stops, in order to keep from rubbing. The use of highline fenders can reduce the amount of suspension and/or body lift you may need for clearance, in order to keep center of gravity lower. As for gearing, with 37s, you will likely need something above 5:1 (5.13, 5.38, 5.89 etc), and be careful. Changing ratios in those axles too much requires a carrier change as well. Budget for it. With lockers and LSD in the rear, that really complicates things.

But if you want to do it, no doubt someone here has done it before.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah, id look into some tube fenders. I'm running 35s on a 3.5" lift, and the lower center of gravity feels way more stable, and still allows me to go into full flex without rubbing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you so much for all the help, This may be a dumb question next but how can I figure out how much of a lift it has to replace the shocks? I can tell it has a long arm kit on it but I have no Idea how much lift this has.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts