Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in communication forum but might get a quicker response here. I am going to run the CB cable from the mount above the review mirror, along the roll bar and out to a tire mount antenna. How long of a cable will I need?

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
I posted this in communication forum but might get a quicker response here. I am going to run the CB cable from the mount above the review mirror, along the roll bar and out to a tire mount antenna. How long of a cable will I need?
The standard 18' will work. My suggestion is, to pull from the rear to the front . That way, what ever slack is left over. You will have it up there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I used a 30' cable so I could run it as loosely and freely as I wanted. Only had a few feet left over which I coiled up in the rear door. Better to have too much and not need it I always say!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Most of the pre-made coax cables with connectors are going to be 18ft. That was enough to go from my tire carrier up to the center console with several feet of slack left on both ends. Running along the sides and then over to the center under the passenger seat. But I have a 2 door, so it's a shorter distance and unlimited.

Going up and all the way over to the rear view mirror area is probably a longer distance. You might want to measure it with a piece of rope or string first. Run the rope the same way you plan to run the coax and see how much it takes. You'll want to have 1-2ft of slack on each end for flexibility, repairs, changes, etc.

Despite what you may read or hear, you do not need 18ft, or multiples of 18ft. The correct length is shortest length with 1-2ft slack on each end. Multiples of 18ft only matter when co-phasing multiple antennas like truckers do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
18 barely made it from my tailgate to under the dash. I'd buy at least 20 if I had to do it again
^^x2

18 will work if you have a tight path and go through the hinge area following the CHMSL wiring path. I went with 24' on my 2015 and exited at the right rear fender well, that was a better path with my aftermarket tire carrier. On my 2012, 18' worked but was tight, a few extra feet would have made it easier.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used a 30' cable so I could run it as loosely and freely as I wanted. Only had a few feet left over which I coiled up in the rear door. Better to have too much and not need it I always say!
A little extra cable is not too bad but you may want to rethink coiling up the excess. Current flowing through a wire coiled up creates a magnetic field and in can introduced interference in an antenna line. It is better to run the extra line back and forth along a 3 foot section or so, just not in a coiled loop. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Where is a good place to get 20+ feet? Amazon?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used an 18 foot section for my 2 door. Worked fine being run as you described.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also used 18' and had about 16" left over, I ran it from the front above the rear view mirror along the roll bar down into tail gate to the spare tire mount antenna. I looped the extra under the plastic cover on the inside of the tail gate. Good luck and have fun with the new CB.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I used 18ft in my JKUR with no problems. Over the mirror and over the passenger side to the FireStick mounted on the tire carrier. I had plenty of slack but not an excess.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I ran 18' on my JKU to under the dash and had plenty. Have a CB mount on my Terraflex HD hinged carrier, through the tailgate following the other electrical wiring, then under the carpet along the edge in the rear and under the rear seat alongside the center console.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts