Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my plan today was to flush the coolant in my TJ. I got the distilled water and 50/50 Zerex G-05. I start draining the coolant and come to find out that it is perfectly clean and robust in red color. So I measured what I drained out which was 2.5qts and I put 2.5qts of the new stuff back in. I ran the engine for minute with the radiator cap off and squeezed the upper radiator hose to make sure all bubbles were out. I put the cap back on, blasted the heat and took her out for a ten minute drive. Temps stayed in normal range for me, 204F-211F. Ran the A/C and idled it for a few minutes and it stayed cool. I just want to be careful and make sure I didn't do anything wrong. I was doing this coolant change since I don't know when the last one was since I got it from a dealer, but obviously it looked great. Am I good to go?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The only mistake I see is that you are adding distilled water to an already diluted 50/50 mix. Distilled water should be mixed with the 100% coolant (not 50/50). So your ratios are going to be off (you might have 25% coolant and 75% water for example.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only mistake I see is that you are adding distilled water to an already diluted 50/50 mix. Distilled water should be mixed with the 100% coolant (not 50/50)

+1 on this. too much water will cause it to boil over.

while your in there i would put a remote fill in-line with your upper radiator hose. If you do you can easily burb the air from the system. I run with upper cap open heater full blast till it gets the air out. then drive it till its nice and hot, let cool completely, then re-check levels.

Remember the only thing you ever put in the resi is 100% anti-freeze.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I would switch it all out. I got mine from the dealer too and I am 99% certain it was never changed but the color was still there. Better safe than sorry is how I see it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts