Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting rid of the dana 35 for a locked dana 44. The straps to hold the drive shaft to the yoke are different. There is no thread on the yoke. Do dana 44s take this type of strap? I hope not cause nothing near me is showing these in stock. Auto part Automotive engine part Suspension part Screw Hardware accessory

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
That is a u-bolt style strap which is not what the factory installed on any factory axle installed into our TJs. That requires a special type of yoke.

If your new D44 doesn't have threaded holes in the yoke, it requires the u-bolt straps like in your above photo. Or replace the yoke with the OE yoke which is threaded for the OE straps.

Personally I am back to running the OE style straps and not the u-bolts. I used to run the u-bolts but they are just too easily overtightened which crushes the u-joint bearing caps. Not to mention that the OE straps are more than strong enough. It is actually the yoke that provides the strength to hold the u-joints, the straps just keep the u-joint positioned in the strong part of the yoke. :)

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry. I found out that the Ford u-joint strap fit with the yoke I have. I thought it was the original yoke, but I guess not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts