Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best quick disconnect out there for a TJ with 0-2" of lift? Is it still JKS quicker disconnects? My TJ's currently unlifted, but will be putting in Rusty's 2" basic lift, probably next year. I still want to be able to disconnect when I go wheelin' this summer.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Mine work pretty well, but the cost! :rofl: I spent about 6.95! I bought an extra set in case...

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I'm runnign the RE Gen II....no problems after 2K miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm interested in the home made disco, as well. I read the article, and saw that the author had one of the discos fail on the highway. Good thing he didn't loose control, or get into an accident. I guess if you check the condition on a regular basis, you should be able to tell when you need to replace one to avoid similar problems.

jj, are your homemade discos noisy? did it introduce any creaking or clanging noise to your jeep?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey emilior, I got my jks disconnects from 4wheelparts fo $140 this would work with your 2" lift that u r getting. Its easy to install and make no noise here is a pic.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I run homemade discos on my ZJ and that hause is a heck of a lot heavier than any wrangler. They have held up fine for over a year now. Not to mention I had a 2 hour trip every weekend I decided to head home from college. They had no problem with all the highway driving and they made zero noise. Actually, it was probably one of the best things I did for the price to my ZJ. Now Im planing on doing it for the rear of the TJ since I already had front discos on it. If you dont want to spend a lot that the home made ones are basically unbeatable. There just not adjustable, although with a little work and some basic shop know how they could be.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I ran skyjackers discos when my stocker "disconnected" for good. They were ok. The pin was a pain to get out though. I just like the material the discos was made of.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
if you have a 4" lift and ake the homemade discos will it work, or do you need longer ones to work?
Well the lift I had came with longer front links for my ZJ. It was only a 3" lift so then I added 2" pucks and still kept the links that I had made to discos. So Id think you would be ok.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Jeep Guy, how do secure the JKS disc. when disconnected?
The JKS Discos come with a storage pin that you mount in the fender well for when you disconnect them. I didn't like the position it stored the sway bar in so i didn't install them. I just use a bungy cord, it works pretty well.

·
Wrecktrician
7,349 Posts
The JKS Discos come with a storage pin that you mount in the fender well for when you disconnect them. I didn't like the position it stored the sway bar in so i didn't install them. I just use a bungy cord, it works pretty well.
I had thee same problem with the RE Gen II's, but I relocated the pin to a spot easier to use.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hey JeepGuyLJ,

I was looking at the picture you posted and (please correct me if I'm seeing it wrong) it looks like you have them installed incorrectly. The saddle strap goes on top of the sway bar not underneath like it appears in the picture you posted.

Like this:

Not like this:

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it will cause a problem while you are on the street, but if you go off-road without disconnecting, you will be putting a lot of stress on that tiny little bolt.

Also, for anyone interested, there is a set of these on e-bay right now (0 -2.5" lift) for $75.00.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm interested in the home made disco, as well. I read the article, and saw that the author had one of the discos fail on the highway. Good thing he didn't loose control, or get into an accident. I guess if you check the condition on a regular basis, you should be able to tell when you need to replace one to avoid similar problems.

jj, are your homemade discos noisy? did it introduce any creaking or clanging noise to your jeep?
The pins I bought have several holes, and my bushings stick out just enough, so I squeeze it all together and put the key in tight. No noises at all. 1000+ miles so far...

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
How safe are the home made ones? i drive the freeway every day to and from work 65mph, 45+ miles a day.
the only problem i've seen with them is the heads get worn out.. many people here buy the pins and weld a washer to it so the head doesnt get worn out and slip out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts