Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any that would even allow a listen only mode due to the notorious way Apple locks things down. Seems like there are a few quasi CB apps in development in the android world, just not Iphone. At some point, I'll invest in a real CB if I do more wheeling but for now, I'd love to use the Iphone (or some other handheld device) if possible. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
This seems very impossible for what I know about phones and radios. Cellphones work on much higher fequencies than CB radios, even your car radio. Typical cellphone fequencies are 800mHz-1900mHz. CB's work at 26-28mHz. Also typical power output of cellphones are around 250mW to 1W. CB's put out a max of 4W(legal limit). The lower the frequency the longer your antenna has to be. A cellphones antenna is most likely 1/4 wavelength antenna at the most used fequency of 1800mHz. That makes the antenna 1.54in, due to the amazing invention of fractal antennas they can make them super small to fit in your phone. The CB's antenna is usually a 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength antenna measuring in at 8.6ft or 17.3ft respectivly. They make it fit on 2-4ft antennas by coiling the wire around the fiberglass poles.

Not only do I think it is impossible, if it were even possible you would get horrible quality out of it if you would even be heard or hear anything at all. It could be possible to get an external antenna and transiver that could be controlled by the phone. But why not just by the $30 cb radio and $20 antenna/mount/cable?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are such things as handheld CB's but are big and bulky. With a limited range compaired to a vehicle mounted CB. I did a quick search and found a real cheap handheld CB on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-785-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005Q4ZV

You can also get a cb that is the size of the mic. I want one of these. This is a cool one that can be vehicle mounted or converted into a mobile handheld one.
Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio: Electronics
Im looking at that Midland right now. Looks very nice. Cobra has a similar unit. I think one of those with an added antenna and I should be money. Thanks,

·
Registered
237 Posts
An IPhone CB app wouldn't make the IPhone function like a CB radio, it would link to a server through the cellular network and that server would have an interface to some type of radio system. There are multiple web sites where you can listen to live CB radio or public authority (fire, ambulance, police, emergency services) neither of which make the IPhone function anything like a CB or UHF radio I figure there's so little demand for such that nobody has bothered. One cool thing about diving CB radio use; you can actually talk on them again....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you're using it as communication on the trail it should work just fine. You should get a couple miles on the road. But don't be surprised if you get less range, the handheld antenna is less efficient and it will be inside the vehicle blocking some of the signal. I really don't know why we still use CB's. FRS radios have a longer range without needing a mounted antenna and are much cheaper. Also they have privacy codes so it increases the available channels by a large margin. The higher frequency travels farther with lower power and the frequency works better in high vegetation.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't know why we still use CB's. FRS radios have a longer range without needing a mounted antenna and are much cheaper. Also they have privacy codes so it increases the available channels by a large margin. The higher frequency travels farther with lower power and the frequency works better in high vegetation.
I'd agree with this although I'm obviously no expert. We use FRS when we do fly in fishing in northern Canada it works fantastic. Even when there is significant distance and we are not in open water. Seems like a great application for trails but I suspect that too many folks have money and time (and some nostalgia) tied up in CBs so for now, they are the device for communication.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
FRS radios, have a shorter range. They are only a 1/2 W output versus 4 W for a CB. Their higher frequency allows a shorter but more eficient antenna on a handheld unit.

Each has it's plus's and minuses. It would not be a bad idea to have a mounted CB, and carry a pair of FRS for walking around during a stop.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Scott, you have got to be kidding me

This is absolutely no lie, I was looking at the exact same CB yesterday, looking to use a Best Buy gift card I got for Christmas. Great minds and all that, hahaha.

I think I'll get the 75-822 along with the 18-2442 magnetic antenna. Read a review on the antenna and the guy said he hits it on the overhead beam of his parking garage every time he parks and it has never come off.

Not sure where to put it on the Jeep, though.
I figure for wheeling, it should be good enough. :punk:

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
You can get a cheap Midland CB for $35 at Walmart...I personally wouldn't run a magnetic antenna but that's just me.

I have a Teraflex driver's side taillight mount that mounts underneath the taillight (and then the taillight bolts back on overtop of it. Then I have a 3' Firestik mounted on that. Invest money in a good antenna setup--even a good setup will run you about $50. An expensive radio with a crappy antenna will operate worse than a crappy radio with a good antenna.

This is a great site for all your CB radio needs...they have some Jeep specific mounts and their prices are quite low.

CB Radios & CB Antennas - Cobra, Uniden, Wilson, K40 & Firestik

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
I got the 3' Firestick and mounted to license plate with the mirror mount that came with it then ran the cable upfront and will just leave it under my seat so I can plug in my handheld (got 2 on craigslist for $40) when I'm on the trail.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the 3' Firestick and mounted to license plate with the mirror mount that came with it then ran the cable upfront and will just leave it under my seat so I can plug in my handheld (got 2 on craigslist for $40) when I'm on the trail.
which handhelds did you go with Matt?

·
Registered
353 Posts
dunno if this was mentioned but there is "2 way radio apps" called Tikl and Voxer on the app store that work quite well...(i use voxer)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts