Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update...for ya All said and done, I decided to turn my distributor to # 6 regardless of what it should be, mind you I'm at tdc and my timing chain marks are aligned. walk over and turn key.. Fires RIGHT UP Near as I can figure, My f-ing cam itself is out 180 what the HELL, who would have thought!! well I'm sure weirder things have happend.
so back to an earlier question I asked about regarding the timing cover gasket, as I mentioned the new oil pan gasket, (one piece rubber gasket) runs through the bottom of were my timing cover is, so I did not use the smaller also rubber gasket that came with my timing cover gasket kit thinking there would b no reason to double gasket the bottom portion, Well oil is leaking out bad!! ready to tear down and replace gasket, Really need to know what to do, use both gaskets/rtv anyone been here before, Looking to wrap this up for good!! i

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ive used the rubber gasket and RTV.

and the cam 180 thing is not uncommon; sometimes the bolt holes in the cam gear are drilled wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok just to clarify you u have used the gasket that goes on the bottom of the timing cover and sat that down into the oil pan gasket with rtv so all said in done there is actually two gaskets butting together

Now on the cam thing my new cam sprocket was drilled the same as the factory sprocket

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ok just to clarify you u have used the gasket that goes on the bottom of the timing cover and sat that down into the oil pan gasket with rtv so all said in done there is actually two gaskets butting together
Oh, sorry, thats what you were asking. No Ive only used one gasket and doubled up on the RTV basically.

Now on the cam thing my new cam sprocket was drilled the same as the factory sprocket
The timing mark could have been 180 out, assuming it was a new set. That and cams have been known to be ground wrong too, as well as completely wrong cam in the right box. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts