Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been over a year since I've really looked at lift info. I installed a 2.5" progressive spring Rubicon Express lift kit last year. My plan was to add a 1.00"-1.25" body kit on to it in the future. The time has come! Now I don't remember if I need to consider lengthening cables, or whatever else. I do have lengthened SS brake hoses already. Any help is appreciated

Steve

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
It's been over a year since I've really looked at lift info. I installed a 2.5" progressive spring Rubicon Express lift kit last year. My plan was to add a 1.00"-1.25" body kit on to it in the future. The time has come! Now I don't remember if I need to consider lengthening cables, or whatever else. I do have lengthened SS brake hoses already. Any help is appreciated

Steve
Small body lifts like that aren't very popular around here. But if you keep it small like that it should only be a small amount of issues with the cables and wires.
But why go with a body lift? Do you just want a more aggressive look?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small body lifts like that aren't very popular around here. But if you keep it small like that it should only be a small amount of issues with the cables and wires.
But why go with a body lift? Do you just want a more aggressive look?
Yeah I just want a little more height. I really don't want to eff around with springs again, so I don't really want to go with spacers

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
Yeah I just want a little more height. I really don't want to eff around with springs again, so I don't really want to go with spacers
You don't think that a body lift will be easier to install than spring spacers, do you?
But its your Jeep. Do what you want.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't think that a body lift will be easier to install than spring spacers, do you?
But its your Jeep. Do what you want.
I suppose I could rent a spring compressor. It was a real PIA dropping axles to install them, even then I had to compress the springs a little with ratchet straps to get them in - did not like doing that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I rented a spring compressor when I installed my lift. It was a tad difficult getting the springs in even with it, but if you take some time and look at where you would have clearance to remove the compressor, it sounds a heck of a lot safer than using a ratchet strap. Also I would think that a spring spacer kit would be cheaper than a body lift kit?

I'm also in the not a fan of body lift group. I had one years ago on a 2wd Ranger and things never really lined up after that. Granted that was a 3 inch and not a 1 inch.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I actually own a spring compressor. But our local AutoZone will "rent" them out for free, you typically "buy" it and they will refund your money when you bring it back. But I like having one around.
Also, be sure to loosen up all the pivot points when dropping the suspension. You have to retorque anyway, so you might as well loosen all the pivot points to start with.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
You don't need a spring compressor to swap springs. MetalCloak Spring are among the longest out there and I do it with 2 jack stands and a floor jack.

1. Jack front or rear up, same process either end, don't forget you wheel chalks. I also put it in 4wd.
2. Remove tires
3. Keep jacking and put jack stand on the frame in front of our behind control arm mount depending on which end you are working on
4. Lower axle down slowly until axle is hanging down by the sway bar end links and shocks. I like about 12 inches of clearance between the disk brake and the floor.
5. With the floor jack supporting one side disconnect the low shock and sway bar end link.
6. Lower the floor jack. This is usually enough to remove the spring, if not raise the vehicle a little higher.
7. Reconnect the sway bar end link and shock and repeat for the other side.

IMO spring compressors are just waiting to maim or kill you.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
Proper safe use of spring compressors is no different than proper safe use of jack stands. And failing to use either safely can kill you.
Spring compressors just make it easier to remove the springs, you don't need to jack it up so high so you can drop the axle far enough. But if you jack has a high enough reach you can do it without the spring compressors. Not everyone has a jack that reaches that high.
I have done it both ways. Either way works, and unless you screw up badly, a spring compressor isn't going to kill you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I followed the directions above when I installed but I couldn't jack it enough to fully put the springs in. I needed about another inch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
MetalCloak 2 1/2” Lift here. Did not need a compressor either. Just drooped axle as far as it would go on it’s own, then pushed it down further with my foot. It was close, but the springs went right in.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I'm lucky, I have some very tall jack stand as I have had some pretty tall trucks.

·
Super Moderator
22,456 Posts
if you can not do it with out a spring compressor you are doing something wrong, perhaps disconnection your front driveshaft will give you the needed space. I have installed mc 3.5, Rk 3.5, AEV 3.5 and all went right in without issue. I know sometimes people forget to loosen the track bar bolts and all the control arm bolts which all make a difference. I have also used spring compressors but either way works if you take all the proper steps. I would be more leery doing a body spacer lift on older jk's as too many stories of broken body bolts and those are not easy fixes. Oh I agree if you use a spring compressor properly it is safe just like running a chainsaw. If you do it wrong not so safe.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
They also came in very handy when I changed the clutch on my Corvette. Changing a clutch on any thing else is child's play.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Agree with jadmt, disconnect the front driveshaft for clearance. Synergy and Mopar springs I used were both around 20" long and wouldn't fit without doing so. I'd never done it before so was concerned that it might be a pain in the tail, but it really wasn't. There's plenty of room in the Rear so I can't imagine needing spring compressors there. And like others mention, loosening all 16 control arm bolts and disconnecting track bars help.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
never needed a spring compressor for any JK kit I've ever installed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts