Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i need help with my daystar switches i have them installed and everything and the work but is the led light always supposed to be on? i thought it was supposed to only be on when the light was on. any help would be greatly appreciated. I have two switches one goes to two kc lights mounted by the windshield the other switch goes to two mounted on the front bumper. Both switches always have the led light on. Thnx for help in advance

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have always known those indicator lights to be on constantly. Just figured it was so you could find the switch when its dark out.... ya know when you need those lights???

·
Registered
569 Posts
The LED on the switch that came with my KC lights only lights up when the lights are turned on. I wish the LED was on all the time so the switch would be easier to find in the dark.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Fox, how many electrical connections are on the switch, and what are they labeled.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sparky im not a hundred percent what yu mean but i think theres 3 wires going to the switch. the ground which is brown a white one and a green one if thats what you mean

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Correct. They are always on because the switch is wired to 12 volts, not to the headlight wire. If you wire them to the headlights, that led will only come on when they are on. If you wanna make sure they don't kill your battery, you can just take off the ground wire. That's what I did :)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
O yea and the switch will have 3 plugs. Ground, 12volts in, and 12volts out probably to the relay.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when i disconnect the ground wire though the fuses like to break. and both the green and white wire go connected to the positive terminal on the battery correct?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
hmmm the fuses shouldn't pop... it should be a ground to the switch, one 12volt from the battery going into the switch, and one 12volt going away from the switch either to your lights or to the relay.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will take i pic of how i have it set up an post it. It will probably be a lil later tho

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not much of an electrician haha =p

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
when i disconnect the ground wire though the fuses like to break. and both the green and white wire go connected to the positive terminal on the battery correct?
yeah, but both to the battery and the switch light is on all the time. You can touch one to a battery and see what comes on then you'll know which is which. One will be for the lights themselves and the other one is for the switches light. You can also split them, run the one for the lights themselves to the battery to eliminate points of failure. Then run the one for the switch light to the fuse panel where the headlight fuse is. That way you get maximum wattage to the lights and the switch is only lit if your regular headlights are on. If you split them like this, you can still flip your trail lights on without the switch being lit (without the headlights on basically).

For those of you who want the switch light on ONLY when the switch is on, you can remove the wire for the switches light that feeds it power. (Disconect and test the lights, they should still work but the switch will stay dark) Then, jump a small wire from the switches light leed to the switches on leed. Then, when the switch turns on and feeds 12v to the opposing post, it also jumps right to the switch light. Thats how I run my emergency strobes so that the switch illuminates yellow while the flashers are on.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am lost now... I am not very good with wiring. It is like some short of magical sorcery that I dont understand.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
YF, It could be something as simple as you have the power in and power out wires reversed on the switch. The LED receives it's power from either the power in terminal or the power out.

If you have the power wire connected on the power out side, instead of the power in, the LED will be lit all the time. If you have the power wire connected to the power in no power should run to the LED until the switch is turned on and the lamps come on.

Here you go, pictures may help.

Same switch, #1 how it should be wired for LED to come on when lamps are on.
#2 LED will be on with lamps off, and as long as power is coming from battery or ignition feed

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lighting

heres how i have the wires set up to my battery if it helps. i kno the ground is the brown one how about the white and the green which ones are which

Attachments

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Shelby has good drawings. Both green and white to the battery is not correct.

One wire is ground, one wire is hot (positive battery), last wire is load (lights).

There is no standard color code for add-in wiring, see if the switch is marked. It might be writing or little pictures. Maybe a "+" sign (that would be your hot) a picture that looks like a headlight (that's your load), last would look like an upside down Christmas tree (that's ground).

I don't want to add to the confusion, but this wiring is still not correct. The proper way to power aux lights is through a relay. Most switchs cannot handle the current needed for a pair of 100W lights.

But lets get your switch squared away first, then we'll add the relay.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my lights have a relay on them already and ill check it out today

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i explained the set up i have running to the battery wrong. I have the white wire connected to the battery and a yellow wire. The white wire goes directly to the switch and the yellow wire goes to the relay. The green wire goes from the relay to the switch. Now as for the led light always being on i fixed that by switching the position of the white and the green wire from the back of the switch. Thanx you guys and for anyone who always wants that little led light on just switch the positioning of the green and white wires going into the back of the switch

1 - 19 of 19 Posts