Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started a thread earlier about the wife wanting me to trade my TJ for a JK. I have since agreed, on the condition that I get a Rubicon... Makes sense, right? SOOO I started looking, called my contact at one of the dealerships I work with and came across 2 within my desirable budget (finance ~15k after trade in or down payment (depending on how I get rid of the TJ)) I'd expect anywhere from 6-8k for the TJ depending on sale method.

The first is a 2009 Rubi, Black with cloth interior. Navigation. Show-mods (lift, 35" tires, fenders, bumper) with no signs of any off-roading. Soft top only. 80k miles. They want 19.5k for it...

The next is a 2010 Rubi, blue, tan leather interior. Navigation, Totally stock, 57k miles. Both hard and soft top. They want 23.5k for it.

Both are automatics (wife likes to hit the trails with me too and drive once in a while... can't get the hang of a standard)

I know once I get it, it'll be tough, and a long road, to get the lift, wheels, tires, etc. done to it which is why the first Rubicon is an option here, despite the higher miles.

I know it's always a crappy thread to put up, but I'm new to the whole JK thang, so your opinions are invaluable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the JK's, but I'd be inclined to pay the extra $4K to go one year newer, better equipped, and gain back 23K miles. When you build it, it'll be what you want and you'll know exactly how it was done.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Agree with CTYankee. You would be buying it stock, which is good. You can build it your way, and make sure everything is done the right way and how you like it. Also, hard top will run you roughly $1500 maybe, 23,000 miles is like a year and a half more of driving (guessing how much I actually drive), and the leather seats are a bonus. I love my leather seats for when I have the top off and doors if I get mud in the interior it just wipes right off. Either way, you are going to end up with a nice ride! Good luck picking one!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate that. Yes I'm leaning towards the stocker just for the ability to do it how I want it. But it is a nice thought to get in and jump in to the tougher trails off the bat.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I have a friend in a similar position to you, looking at various pre-2013 JKs and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know about how these vehicles hold their value .... That said, id be inclined to go with the later model stock JK with lower miles at roughly ($4k) an approximate budget. There is satisfaction to be gained by modding it to both you and your wife's liking.

·
Registered
373 Posts
To make the waters a little muddier, before you sign on that 2009 or 2010. I would drive a 2012 just to see how you feel about the engine and power. I hear that the 3.6 is a nice improvement over the 3.8 (2009 & 2010 have the 3.8). The 2012 year was the first year that the 3.6 was switched out.

Also, for the 2010...does that come with the upgraded Alpine speakers. I drove in a buddies jeep the other day and it made me appreciate the upgraded speakers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To make the waters a little muddier, before you sign on that 2009 or 2010. I would drive a 2012 just to see how you feel about the engine and power. I hear that the 3.6 is a nice improvement over the 3.8 (2009 & 2010 have the 3.8). The 2012 year was the first year that the 3.6 was switched out.

Also, for the 2010...does that come with the upgraded Alpine speakers. I drove in a buddies jeep the other day and it made me appreciate the upgraded speakers.
I'm not sure about the speakers. May have been 10 or 11.

Believe me though the waters have already been muddied by the idea of a 2012+. But for the money I could get an 07-11 rubicon for the same price as a 2012+ sport, or maybe sahara. My dealership I work at has a 2013 Freedom Edition for 23k with 53k miles... but they're basically a sport package, right?

So to me it's either Rubicon awesomeness or a bigger badder engine... which is more important to me?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'd choose the stocker, lower miles and no one else's possible hack work and cheap components.
I was in the same boat as you a over a year ago, I bought the older Rubicon and don't regret it. With the 4:10s, there's plenty of power, but I could see the gears in the low 3's being pretty wimpy. I didn't buy the Jeep for travel or to do wheelies, so the 3.8 is good for me. It only had 48k miles on it when I bought it.
Like you, I also wanted to keep debt down, and wanted to stay in the low $20ks and lower for the loan. To each their own, but it's easy to say "spend another $x amount per month, and get the 3.6" but to me that extra money is put on my home loan, and I hope to have it paid off by the time I'm 50.

·
Registered
936 Posts
just curious, but whats so special about a rubi?
(note, I do have a rubi and I am very happy with it.... but...)
if you are planning on building it to any real degree, you will end up replacing most of the Rubiness anyway...
well, you probably keep the power windows/mirrors/etc... but do you really want/need those?

I would go for the 3.6L personally....

so my answer to Quick opinion of "is it worth it" would be to get the 3.6 and worry about Rubiness another time...(ie slowly upgrade to or over a rubi level as funds allow...) you could even get power mirrors if you must...

unless you are planning on swapping in an LS or Hemi?
or go the other direction, and swap in a Go Devil or Hurricane...

·
Registered
936 Posts
So to me it's either Rubicon awesomeness or a bigger badder engine... which is more important to me?
technically, wouldn't it be Smaller badder engine? ie 3.6 < 3.8

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
If you want to mod a Sport to be a Rubi it's going to cost you at the very least $10,000, not counting tires and wheels, and you can take that to the bank. That doesn't even account for the superior 3.6, which means you at least have to buy a 2012.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
How hard are you really wheeling it I guess would be my question. The jump to the 2012+ is pretty big in my opinion having own a Jeep on both sides of the refresh. If it were me and I wasn't doing anything super serious off road wise, I'd push to get the 2012+ and get the sport personally. Heck you can find a lot of Rubi takeoff parts pretty cheap on Craigslist and on these forums, and get your sport to 80% of a Rubi quickly without the huge price jump and stay on the better side of the 2012+ models.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
So I started a thread earlier about the wife wanting me to trade my TJ for a JK. I have since agreed, on the condition that I get a Rubicon... Makes sense, right? SOOO I started looking, called my contact at one of the dealerships I work with and came across 2 within my desirable budget (finance ~15k after trade in or down payment (depending on how I get rid of the TJ)) I'd expect anywhere from 6-8k for the TJ depending on sale method.

The first is a 2009 Rubi, Black with cloth interior. Navigation. Show-mods (lift, 35" tires, fenders, bumper) with no signs of any off-roading. Soft top only. 80k miles. They want 19.5k for it...

The next is a 2010 Rubi, blue, tan leather interior. Navigation, Totally stock, 57k miles. Both hard and soft top. They want 23.5k for it.

Both are automatics (wife likes to hit the trails with me too and drive once in a while... can't get the hang of a standard)

I know once I get it, it'll be tough, and a long road, to get the lift, wheels, tires, etc. done to it which is why the first Rubicon is an option here, despite the higher miles.

I know it's always a crappy thread to put up, but I'm new to the whole JK thang, so your opinions are invaluable.

Any pics of the blue one. I would love to see a tan leather interior in it. I don't think they came stock with it that year. I'm thinking of the katzkins upgrade eventually. Oh I love my 2010 jk rubi, in Deep Water Blue. I just don't have the nav, I special ordered mine loaded less the nav and the leather.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Unless you upgrade to a 44 front axle, with lockers front and rear, discos and a 4:1 transfer case, you're not a Rubi

Lift and tires don't make a Rubi.

·
Do not fear the Blubicon
708 Posts
Its really going to come down to how you intend to use it, and how often. I'm happy with a '12 Sport because I don't ever see myself going bigger than 35's and since it's my DD I am in NO WAY interested in doing the crazy technical stuff that's going to require me having lockers and potentially slipping off something and ending up with hundreds if not thousands of $$ in body damage. A few trail pinstripes I can deal with, but my Jeep isn't a weekend toy that I want to thrash around in. Granted I am building it to be quite capable off-road, but that's mostly for my own peace of mind since I'll probably never "need" to utilize all of its potential.

For me having the 3.6 would far outweigh the desire for a rubi. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
/QUOTE]

Unless you upgrade to a 44 front axle, with lockers front and rear, discos and a 4:1 transfer case, you're not a Rubi

Lift and tires don't make a Rubi.
No kidding, thanks for clearing that up. I own a Rubi, so yes I know that. The point remains the same, the sport will do what he wants if he isn't wheeling hard. The 44 is nice but not really necessary, the lockers are a big one, and the transfer case as I understand it really only helps people who rock crawl. I think he's in DC so he probably isn't doing much of that.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Oh boy, wait for it ..... :)
Haha, yes this is heading down the sport vs rubi debate tracks and won't end well!

Its really going to come down to how you intend to use it, and how often. I'm happy with a '12 Sport because I don't ever see myself going bigger than 35's and since it's my DD I am in NO WAY interested in doing the crazy technical stuff that's going to require me having lockers and potentially slipping off something and ending up with hundreds if not thousands of $$ in body damage. A few trail pinstripes I can deal with, but my Jeep isn't a weekend toy that I want to thrash around in. Granted I am building it to be quite capable off-road, but that's mostly for my own peace of mind since I'll probably never "need" to utilize all of its potential.

For me having the 3.6 would far outweigh the desire for a rubi. But that's just me.
100% what I was trying to say. Intended use when you are working within a specific budget is key.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
I get all your arguments. Just saying Rubi's are special, and you can't make a purse out of a sow's ear without pulling out the American Express card.

You know my motto - "here's to swimmin with bowlegged wimmin"

·
Registered
936 Posts
I get all your arguments. Just saying Rubi's are special,
what makes a Rubi so special?
a Rubi = Wrangler + some added on (over priced) options by the factory.
a Sport = Wrangler + a few less and or different (over priced) options by the factory.
the cost of the parts isn't that bad, the labor is mostly easy enough to do yourself.
and you can't make a purse out of a sow's ear without pulling out the American Express card.
this is false on so many levels it hurts... it truly hurts...
Sows ear = pig skin, generally considered one of the nicer leathers.
so cut/cure/treat the leather as needed, sew it up into a purse, get out your trusty bedazzler if you feel the need, and done, you have a purse, no American Express needed...
why have so many people become so dependent on having other people doing all the work for them?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts