Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The windshield hinges on my 06 LJ are rusty. I want to bedline them black. So far I have read I should not remove them. Just sand, prime, and rattle can them on the jeep. Is this a good plan? I would tape off the area around the hinges. Should I try to tape off the bolts so bedliner doesn't cause them to become irremovable? Or should I just take off the hinges to do this?

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
The windshield hinges on my 06 LJ are rusty. I want to bedline them black. So far I have read I should not remove them. Just sand, prime, and rattle can them on the jeep. Is this a good plan? I would tape off the area around the hinges. Should I try to tape off the bolts so bedliner doesn't cause them to become irremovable? Or should I just take off the hinges to do this?
If the hinges are rusted there is a very good chance that you won't be able to even get the bolts out. And more than likely you will tear up the torx heads trying to get them out. If you don't have future plans to drop the windshield, then I would leave the hinges in place.

I would just sand them down just enough to get the clearcoat off and rough the painted surface up a bit. Then clean really well, tape off and paint. I painted my bumpers with the Rustoleum rattle can bedliner a few years back, and that's how I did it.....Just a light sanding (not down to bare metal) clean and spray on in several very light coats (about 30 minutes between coats) until completely painted. They have held up great.

Good luck!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts